Need Information

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Clyde83c10, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Clyde83c10

Clyde83c10 Member

I have 2 questions and hopefully i can get some assistant from someone.
    First of all my '83 c10 has a Heavy Duty step bumper on it, and i am wantin to change it to a wrap around bumper, my concern is will i have to change bumper brackets or will the ones from the step bumper work.

My second question is that i am looking at a wrecked 1998 Z71 truck for the 5.7 it has in it. my regards are could i pull the engine and convert it to run off carb instead FI. i know i would have to change intake manifolds and purchase a carb. but would you have to change anything else or once u changed them would it bolt up to my th350 tranny.

Thanks

2. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

If you're talking about a stock chrome bumper from a Suburban or Blazer, I'm pretty sure you will need new brackets.

Personally I would keep the FI setup from the '98, unless you want to work on it yourself. It's more efficient than a carb, and as long as the engine in the '98 runs you know you have everything for it. I think the hardest part with going that route would be the fuel tank/pump.

If you really want a carb, I would look for an engine that's already set up for it, or buy a crate 350. I think in '87 they changed the bolt angle for the heads/intake, but I have seen newer FI motors changed to carbs.

3. LVMY87TRK

LVMY87TRK Member

The bumper brackets will depend on if it is a factory or after market i would say 90%of both will use the ones you already have.As for the motor yes it will bolt up the same.All you will have to change is the intake and carb.You can just plug the sensors it has that you will not need such knock etc.

4. LVMY87TRK

LVMY87TRK Member

Noticed you posted several days ago other ? if this is the same truck and it has a 6banger in it you will have to change trans even if the 5.7 bolts up to it the gearing in it will be all wrong youres is set up for a 6cyl.