1978 K5 Instrument cluster in reverse

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by 1978K5, Jan 1, 2007.

1. 1978K5

1978K5 Member

Hello fellow Chev fanatics, I have a problem with my guages. I had to remove my instrument cluster to reinstall my speedo cable ( I know I should have had someone with smaller hands just push it back on!) and now my Highbeam light is on in the low position, Flasher lights in dash stay on and don't flash (They flash outside) worst of all no gas guage,oil press,temp. Before I rip it all out any Ideas?

2. vincent

vincent Member

Hi 1978K5,

Unfortunatly I do not know what the fix to your prob is but i would sure like to know! I just swaped the cluster in my 85 gmc with all the idiot lights putting in a cluster with gauges from my old 84 chevy. All the conections sliped right in with no prob. But now the right flasher lights stay on as well as no other gauges reading. And the weird thing is when i turn on the left directional the right one flashes turn on the right the left flashes. What did i do wrong? More inportantly what do i need to do to fix. I really hope someone can come to our rescue. I would rather not put the old cluster back in.

3. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

1978K5 It sound like your got a wire crossed or missing a ground it's trying to ground throw one of the + side wires ("for the Flasher", bad or burnt bulbs in one or single lights. Fuses are ok right no burnt ones. flasher relays)
    There could be some more you will have to rule out some of list to near the search.

4. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

vincent The cluster with gauges from your old 84 chevy is that parts truck now?. If it is did you take all the sending units out for the gauges?.

Now the big thing is that the the cluster in your 85 gmc with all the idiot lights have different wireing harnes for the gauges so it not a simple plugin and go.

There is two ways you can make it work.
    First do they both have same motors, if they do that makes it easier. Take all the motor wireing & in side cab wiring out of the parts truck, do not cut it. So you can compare to the none gauge truck, or swap the two. or replace the wires with the ones you will need with is a little longer harder to do.
    Both trucks have to be set up the same for power option's if they are not you will have to mix ad match the two wire harnes two make one you want.
    Have you ever taken out a wire harnes out of truck. ( if not everything un bolts or unclips take your time.)

5. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

1978K5 - I agree with Pontiac1976 about a bad contact or ground. Did you pull the wiring harness from the back of the cluster? The contacts there can be easily bent putting it back together.

6. vincent

vincent Member

Unfortunatly the parts truck is long gone I do however have some of the harness from the 84, thats what happens when your helper is lazy and cuts the wires instead of unpluging everything:( It sounds as though I will need the whole harness. Where can i find a wiring diagram for the 85 gmc, maybe i can add some wires to the exsisting harness?

7. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

This is one of the book you should look for Chilton book GM full size truck 1980-1987 repair manual. Found in most auto parts store or wal mart or Other auto type related, net book store. http://www.amazon.com try this copy paste use the seach for the book. hope this helps:)