New Guy

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Will's 874x4, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Will's 874x4

Will's 874x4 Member

Howdy, my name is Will and I have an 87 halfton 4x4. I have a ? for ya all you out there. My gas guage does not work. I have a short in the wiring or something, because i can put a fuse in and leave it in there and within five min. it will blow the fuse. Any ideas? Please HELP! Also I just bought another bed for my truck and it only has a filler tank on the left side, but my truck has dual tanks which the left has a hole in it somewhere. So my ? is could I use my right side gas tank and put it on the left side or are they directional tanks. Thanks for all the help.

2. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

I have found wires shorted out all over the place under the dash, just spend a day and take things apart. After so many years I've found that people have installed/uninstalled various things and the wiring takes the punishment. Look for wires that don't go to anything or wires that have cracks or show the bare metal. Does the gauge work for the 5mins before the fuse blows? Could be the sending unit, but I'm not familiar with those.

I believe the gas tanks are the same for the left and right side. You would have to use the filler neck and all the mounting stuff for the side you want to use (which shouldn't be a problem because you have both).

You could remove the bad tank while doing this and save some weight, or get another tank at a junkyard, clean it up and install another filler door and keep the dual tanks.

3. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

No they are not unless the tank has a left & right sending unit set up on the tank. ( or you might try to see if the sending unit for that side,see if it will fit in the tank and point the right way. ) On the 73-87 none fuel injection you can make it work bye running loger fuel line. The problem is the sending unit will face the wrong way if the tank on the wrong side. I hope this helps you. So look at the tank sending unit to see if the facing the wright way, ( left side tank lines face the right side- right side tank lines face the right side ) because the fuel lines run down the right side of the frame to the engine.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007