Carter YF Rebuild

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 4JSAToo, Feb 2, 2007.

1. 4JSAToo

4JSAToo Member

Iv'e got a Carter YF carb on my 235 that has a throttle shaft leak. Where do you guys send your carbs for this to be re-bushed?

2. psy999

psy999 Member

3. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

This may be a wild goose chase, but have you tried Randy's SW Chevy there in Tucson? www.randysswchevy.com They might be able to fix you up.

4. 4JSAToo

4JSAToo Member

Dave...Iv'e rebuilt carbs before but this involves either rebushing the throttle shaft or going a size larger with the throttle shaft.
    As far as Randys Southwest Chevy in Tucson, I'll give them a call. Thanks guys..

5. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Good luck, it seems like there are a lot of places who will sell you a rebuild kit, or will rebuild your carb, but not very many who will address minor things such as rebushing.

6. more429

more429 Member

rebursh

What do you do when youm rebrush a carb?

7. 4JSAToo

4JSAToo Member

From my understanding,when the throttle shaft starts to leak fuel you either have to have the carb body re-bushed or a larger size throttle shaft put in to stop the leak. The clearance is in "thousands of an inch" so pretty close work.

8. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

A&G Carburetor

I was looking through my "Cars & Parts" mag last night and saw an ad for A&G Carburetor, in Oak Park, Il. They say that they specialize in re-bushing worn throttle shafts. They didn't list a website, but had a toll-free number. 1-866-885-0891.

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Carby Fun

Yep ;

Wobbly throttle plate shafts cause vacuum leaks that will screw up both the idle and off idle performance .

it is a tricky job and a carby can easily be ruined beyond repair if you try to fix this @ home....

The farmer fix is to simly richen up the idle mixture a little bit more than is perfect . easy to do if you have a two gas exhaust analyzer , less so by smell.

10. 4JSAToo

4JSAToo Member

Thanks guys..