'87 350 Tbi

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by alnjbr, Jan 31, 2007.

1. alnjbr

alnjbr Member

I am exhausted on ideas for this truck. I have replaced, cleaned, checked everything the manuals and several other threads on here talk about. I love this truck and have learned alot. OK, the problem, no gas getting in there. switched gas tanks, checked in tank fuel pumps, relays, hoses, reset batt, fuel pump........... at first the tank switch would not switch tanks properly. Replaced it and the relay under the hood on the wall close to front windshield. now it works!!! My son ran it out of gas! now it will only start with gas dripped in by hand. (dangerous, learned something there also). The 2 injectors are very expensive to replace is there a way to clean them? Or is there some big secret someone is willing to share with me. Also, since it want start I have to get it from Alabama to Tennessee is there a certain tow dolly for this 4X4? Thanks, Amy

2. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

For towing any real distance flat bed of some kind.Have you had the tank off again since son ran out of gas dirt on or in the pump, line got pluged, do you got any filters on the lines ( that might be blocked). Does the pump suck gas?.Have you try to disconect the fuel line at the fitting near the rail to test the pump to see it fuel is making it that far. Have you got a least a 1\4 tank of fuel.FEI can be hard to prim (When run out of gas) some time air under pressure in the lines will not let the pump push the fuel bye some times, you will have to bleed the air out. Not sure if you have tried all of this but hope some of this will help

3. bigblue87

bigblue87 Member

I had a similar problem with mine and a good thing to check is the fuel pressure regulator that is located at the back of the throttle body. If you take the top off it is the peice that is right at the back. Sometimes they get clogged. On mine it melted and clogged the hole right up. So if you know that your fuel pump is working and the fuel filter isn't clogged up then it would be a good thing to check. If you end up needing one they are available through Summitt. I think that they run around 60 or 70 dollars. So that is a lot cheaper than buying new injectors and then not needing them.