Tranny Help

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 1965stepside, Feb 17, 2007.

1. 1965stepside

1965stepside Member

Hello All. I have a 65 stepside with a 230 inline six / three speed on the column. My top speed in this truck is around 50-55 mph. Anything faster than that, the engine really runs at high rpm's. I would like to keep the inline six and possibly switch to a built inline six at a later time. I would also like to stay with a standard shift tranny. I have some questions for you:

1) Is there a standard shift tranny that would eliminate this issue?

2) Is there a standard shift tranny that would swap out with little
    modification?

3) Would I be better off to change the rear end gears instead? I have not
    checked my current gears, so I don't know what is in the truck.

4) If I decide down the road to go with a built inline six, can the 230 be
    built, or would it be better to go with a 250 or 292?

5) If there is a good tranny swap for my 230, would it bolt up to a 250 or 292 if I change engines at a later time.

I am not new to this forum, I just have a new user name. I was having problems posting with my old user name, so I re-registered. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Mark

2. TINKERDUKE

TINKERDUKE Member

Hi Mark, If i was you i would check your current rear axle gearing as that is probably whats causing the excessive engine rpm. I believe chevy duty sell different axle ring and pinion gears that should help you considerably. This would also help with fuel consumption also;)
    I cant help you with the engine questions as what i know about inline sixes could be written on a postage stamp!!!
    Steve.

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

The rear is only half of the equation. Yes, you could go to a different rear ratio. The one you have is mostlikely a 4:11 or 3:70.

Changing out the rear will give you a better top end rpm but at the cost of low end torque. Taking off from a stop will be "different" (aka S L O W )

You can start to look at the 5 speed trannies found in Firebirds, Camero's, Mustangs, etc. I don't know what would be necessary to mate it to your six, but I do know that you will need to go to a floor shifter if you don't already have one. The shifter location could also be a problem and require some thought to overcome.

Good luck Bud.

Val

4. OlCurt

OlCurt Member

The T5 transmission will work with only slight modification. The input shaft needs to be shortened and you might have a little trouble with a bench seat if you use the one from a camaro. I think the shifter sits too far back. I believe some use old s-10 transmissions, as they have the shifter farther forward.

I also think you need to match the number of splines on a clutch to the shaft. There again, some have already done the homework, and I think it is a clutch from a Astro van.

There should be a good link on one of the inline six sites. I'll see if I can find it.

5. OlCurt

OlCurt Member

6. 1965stepside

1965stepside Member

Thanks guys for your responses. I am not sure what direction I should go. Unfortunately, I am not a seasoned mechanic, just the back yard type. I was hoping there would be an easy swap.
    Mark

7. OlCurt

OlCurt Member

If you get really serious about the 5 speed, I would call Tom Langdon at the number listed for http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/index1.htm

He is a retired GM engineer that worked with the development of sixes. He offered to do all the alterations on one for me once at a very reasonable price. All that I would have needed to do was bolt it up. Unfortunately I had to have surgery shortly after and never got around to it.

8. 1965stepside

1965stepside Member

Thanks-Great Info.

OlCurt
    Thanks for the great tip. I will give it a shot.
    Mark

9. dvalentine

10. 1965stepside

1965stepside Member

Thanks

Dennis,
    Thanks for the info. That ads another option. OlCurt suggested I contact Tom Langdon @ Stovebolt Engine Co. I just sent an email to him asking for his input. Hopefully I hear back from him. Again, thanks for your help.
    Mark

11. raycow

raycow Member

If you are looking for an easy swap, there is a near bolt-in option available. Look for a 3 speed + overdrive transmission from ANY 55-65 Chevy car or truck. This will bolt up to your stock bellhousing with no modifications needed on the input side. Car transmissions will require bolts with nuts in the bottom two mounting holes, but are othewise similar to truck units. Depending on the year transmission you get, you may have to replace the driveshaft yoke or swap the shift arms from your old tranny.

Besides the transmission, you will need a control cable, which can be an aftermarket choke or throttle cable. You will also need a toggle switch and a few feet of wire because the overdrive is engaged electrically.

I put a T-5 in my truck because it already had a 4 speed. If it had been a 3 speed I would have used one of these overdrives instead.

Ray

12. OlCurt

OlCurt Member

Ray,

Those sound attractive. I've read about them, but didn't realize they are readily available. Are they fairly common?

13. generalmotor

generalmotor Member

I have a complete 63 chevy truck shortwheelbase witha 292 and a 4-speed I am parting out if you want a tranny give me a email at generalmotor@excite.com

14. dvalentine

Trust me folks,,, Raycow is THE man !! I know him from another site and his advice is impeccable ! I'm pretty excited he found us over here.

Welcome to the forum Ray !!

Val

15. raycow

raycow Member

Thank you for your most warm welcome, Dennis, but you are embarrassing me again. :eek:

Ray

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  16. raycow

raycow Member

Curt, these transmissions were never very common in Chevy cars/trucks - probably less than 10% of the 3-speeds. However, they tended to get saved when the vehicles were scrapped, and turn up on ebay fairly frequently. I have also seen a few at swap meets, so I would say they aren't terribly hard to find.

Ray

17. jgrh64

jgrh64 Member

keep the rear gears for the new six build up ,overdrive is the way to go- check out inliners international for building up a six cyl