Carpet replacement

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by sinerasis, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Heavy86Chevy

Heavy86Chevy Member

Just so ya know dude...WD 40 is NOT a lubricant... it has no oil in it at all... WD stands for water displacer and 40 was the 40th attempt at the formula. sure it stops squeeks and whatever but it actually has no oil in it.....so yes a penetrating fluid is always better on stubborn bolts.

2. Heavy86Chevy

Heavy86Chevy Member

Carpet looks great!! i like the dual 6x9s in the door! looks wicked

3. redbeast

redbeast Member

New carpet looks good!! I just got done welding in replacement floor panels on my '77 K5. I have to save money for the carpet and sound deadening pads. Quality is everything when it comes to your tools. A high quality T-50 Impact bit from Snap-on ($20.00) or other high quality provider will save you the hours of frustration you just spent. The PB oil and wire-brushing the exposed bolt threads on the bottom of the truck will also help. A 1-inch drive breaker bar is also a heaven sent tool. Seat belt bolts are the toughest bolts to remove in my experience working on trucks. You should also replace them with Grade-8 bolts and put a grade-8 fender washer and backing nut underneath it if the welded in one in the truck floor is stripped or damaged. The life you save could be yours or a loved ones. It's Not worth saving a few dollars on a cheap bolt that will snap off in a collision.
    btw - what brand ( manufacturer ) is the carpet you got ( if you are satisfied with it ). I don't want to spend my money on a crappy or unknown brand when I get mine. Recommendations from people who have had good experiences with products are the best bet.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  4. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

I got the carpet from Classic Parts, so whatever brand that is (I think it's the only one in there). I am very happy with it. It fit well, looks good, and seems like it should last. I went with the cut pile rather than the loop, I think stock is loop, but the old carpet was unraveling and looks like once it starts it never stops. Other people told me that would not happen with the cut stuff.

Good advice with the nuts and bolts, I replaced those torx bolts with regular grade 8 hex heads and I think I'm gonna be glad I did when it's time to replace the actual belts (which isn't far off). Hopefully the weather will get nice again and I'll take some more pictures.

5. csacowboy

csacowboy Member

Good Job you guys, through that whole thing i was having the same problems getting everthing out of my truck to. I have new carpet coming in the mail and all this is info has come in handy. No offense Sinerasis but if you hadnt had all the trouble I probably wouldn't have been able to get it, cuz i went off what you did. I have a really big problem though, i have holes in my floor and i dont really know the best way to fix them. I dont exactly have the money to replace the whole pan. Any Ideas?

6. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

csacowboy: I think thats the reason forums like these are around, to share info to make things easier the 2nd time around. I believe you can get small patch panels to weld in to fix small holes, I have never done anything like that myself however. If they are large you probably don't have much choice but to get replacement floor panels. Or you could make your own with sheet metal, I don't really know, that'd be pretty difficult with all the contours of the floor. I hope you figure it out though!