1947 1 ton engine replacement

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by tvfixer, Feb 18, 2007.

1. tvfixer

tvfixer Member

I just bought a 1947 chevy dually and want to put a more powerful engine in with the least amount of trouble. Any suggestions.

2. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Welcome TVFixer

Welcome to the forum tvfixer. I too have a 3800 but mine is a pickup and has a semi original 235 6 banger in it. I am sure that there are folks here that can help but you probably need to give a little more info. Are you staying with the original front end? If you want to add the weight of a bigger engine you might consider a whole different front end. I found this article and, if I were going to upgrade mine like you want, I would probably go this route. Here is a quote from the article link,

"I found through research that I could bolt on a '73 to '87 Chev or GMC IFS saddle with 1/2" spacers. I found a '80 Chev C20 3/4-ton in a local salvage yard with 8 lug wheels. The donor IFS came complete with disc brakes, anti-sway bar, power steering pump, steering box, pulleys and hoses."

http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/roworth_wayne_1947.htm

I would like to see some pictures. Tell us your name, too. We are a friendly bunch here.
    Gater (Bill)

3. sloromon

sloromon Member

ol 6 banger

...and if you end up with a 6 cylinder boat anchor laying around, be sure to tell the guys on this forum. i'm sure someone will be willing to snatch it up in a hurry!!

jon

4. 52stake

52stake Member

I too have given some thought to replacing the 216 in my '52 3800 (she does run real good). Is there anything good that bolts to the stock tranny.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Re-Power Easily !

Yes ! if your truck is still more or less stock and the old leaky , wheezy 216 isn't your game (mine either BTW) a 235 or better yet , 261 Inline 6 Banger will bolt right in and all you'll needs do is get or make a short shaft water pump to clear the fan....

Cheap too as many good and evern freshly rebuilt 235's are being yanked out and scrapped every day....

Good used under $200.00 and not more than $500.0 for a rebuilt one someone
    dropped $1,500.00 into as they're hard to sell since they last forever with minimal care....

My '49 is bone stock apart from a '57 235 and Patric's gears , it cruises right along @ 65 + MPH.....

6. 52stake

52stake Member

Good info Nate. What gear ratio, does that fit a 3800 rearend. I was thinking a 348 would be nice.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

My 1/2 tonner Final Drive is different as it utilises the Torque Tube enclosed driveshaft , won't fit your Big 'Bolt .

You'd have to double check the inner axle splines and the bolt pattern to the Banjo but the pumpkin from a G-series Chevy van should fit and the automatic equipped ones are generally a 3.72 ratio, just the ticket for good highway speed and still able to move in traffic .

They're _everywhere_ too ~ don't listen to the nay - sayers about this as i find them in every single junkyard I go to ~ you just gotta go look in the nasty , crusty work trucks no one wants to touch and *presto* ! there it'll be and cheap too .

Measure thrice , buy only once .