GMC 248 CI

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by GMC13, Nov 20, 2005.

1. GMC13

GMC13 Member

Hey Gang,

Bought a pair of GMC trucks a couple of weeks ago, a 49 1/2 ton and a 50 3/4 (parts truck). The half ton has no motor but does have a 3-speed. The 3/4 has a 248 with a 4-speed (currently not running but you can turn the motor over by hand...not stuck). Was planning on putting in a later model V8 and manual trans but at the same time I also hate to waste a cool old 6 banger that may fire with a little bit of work (?). I know it's not the rod engine that I would prefer but it just bekons me to give it a chance. What suggestions do you have for me? Was this a good motor in it's day?

Thanks!

Alex

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

If you are real $erious about your 248 check out
    http://www.waynemfgco.com
    Start in the history department, then drool over the currently available heads, manifolds, ignitions, etc.

It would cost many times what a 350/350 would cost, but it would be one of a kind.

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

-Nate

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

OOPS .

O.K. , : you're a lucky dog !

Put some oil in the cylinder and adjust the ign. points , set the timing , change the oil using cheapo oil for now , crank the engine to work the oil through and save the piston rings , add fuel and spark and fire that puppy up ! .

It's a _seven_ main bearing , full pressure oiling engine that's good for to-day's freewy speeds and workloads .

_Much_ better than a same old 350/350 V-ate combo (yawn) .

-Nate