steering column

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by generalmotor, Feb 22, 2007.

1. generalmotor

generalmotor Member

Anyone know of any shops around that rebuilt steering columns or even where to get the parts to rebuild them. I have been searching cause my three speed column shift is the typical old column. It has a lot of play and sometimes the shifter gets bound up my dad told me that they used to have rebuild kits for three speed column shifts but I sure cant find them. Oh it is a 1960 chevrolet original three speed column if that helps any

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

By PLAY did you mean that the column seems loose? Or the steering seems loose ?

Binding of the shifter has one major cause 47 years worth of dirt and crud.
    You can look at replacing the upper and lower column bearings, ( I think our hosts here sell them), and while it's apart clean out all the dirt and crud. You should see a big improvement.

Steering PLAY is probably something else, like worn out frontend parts like ball joints, bushings and idler arm.

Val

3. OlCurt

OlCurt Member

You can buy the rubber grommets that fit in the adjustments where the shifter rods fasten to the linkage on the column from Jim Carter. I used some brass bushings from a local AutoZone to tighten things up a bit on the bottom where the rods fasten to the trans. arms.

I readjusted after cleaning and installing those parts. Mine shifts pretty good now.

I didn't buy the bearings, but might in the future.

4. 1965stepside

1965stepside Member

Here is a company that rebuilds steering columns and also sells rebuilt columns and parts.

http://www.columnsgalore.com/

Mark / 65stepsideagain

5. generalmotor

generalmotor Member

thanks for the link, the play is a bad bearing or something in the column. the front end is disassembled so I can replace everything. So yes there is alot of play in the front end right now lol. But I am sure that it will be fixed quick thanks for all the help!

6. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

I Put The New Bearings In My Column When I Did The P/s Conversion, Its A Manual Column, And My Column Still Has Play In It. If You Grab It And Move It Left To Right You Can Watch The Shaft Move With The Bearing. I Dont Mean stear It Left To Right, just grab the stearing wheel and pulling it towards the door. Whats Up With That? I Know Dennis Has The Cure!! :D

7. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

8. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

That Definetly Would Cure The Problem!! ;)

9. generalmotor

generalmotor Member

well mine doesn't do that just a little play in the shaft but that definitely would be nice just would not do much for my concourse restoration

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007