help me please

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by haroldm, Feb 25, 2007.

1. haroldm

haroldm Member

i have recently replaced the transmission in my 73 gmc 2500 and my speedometer isnt registering the right speed i have tried to figure this out and i cant, has anyone had this type of trouble before? please if anyone can help i would appreciate any feedback you can give, thank you, harold.....:eek:

2. generalmotor

generalmotor Member

wrong speedo gear on the tailshaft of the transmission if the trans isnt the original or when rebuilt at the shop they may have had a mix up but I can surely tell you that is the problem.

3. generalmotor

generalmotor Member

what kind of rear gear are you running along with the height of your tire, the type of transmission and go to your auto dealer and they can give you the right gear you need or check and make sure your cable isnt broken or is the right length, take the cable loose from the back of the speedo and go for a short spin up the street and back if it turns then something else is the culprit

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  4. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Q: 400TH\350TH trans in the truck
    Q:did you put the same trans type in
    Q:you still have the old trans
    If you do have the trans, and you at good taking things apart.Take the little plastic gear out tailshaft near wear the speedo hooks up put that one in. Now if you had Trans shop do all the work go back tell them they should fit it free.Or if your you have the other trans still but do not feel good doing take the trans to a shop and they take it out put it in the truck trans .