Yes it is yet again another of thoe

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Longhorn, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

I recently purchased a truck from a scrap yad in Texas, and trailed it home to Canada. Like the subjet suggests I am confused on what yeat my truck is. Although I am quit certin it is a 50 as in the decription on Chevy Dutys website in "Truck Years" my side cowl vent is opened using a flat steal rod and I have new style shocks on the front og the truck. The reason for my confusin is simply that when the guy sold me the truck he staited it was a 49 and also put it on the bill of sail and made it quite clear that it was a 49. The truck also has 52 doors on it. which raised another Question other thatn the vent window is their anything structurally different betweent a door from a 50 compared to a 52? I also have the serial # (21HP-A 2205) just curious it this is a regular type serial # B/C I have another tag from a different truck and the configuration seems quite different, if anyone can give me any further info that would be greatly appreciated.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: Yes it is yet again another of

LOL ! I hope ya got it cheap , buddy .

The latches are different on the doors with push button outside handles , I am told you can simply change the striker plates to swap doors willy - nilly . I dunno tho' .

My '49 has a simple flat steel handle for the crotch cooler , the original knob had rotted off years ago so I bought a new repop one and epoxied it on , make sure you don't squish it on and go home as it'll be drooped down the next morning and rock solid ~ I did mine at the shop and held it in place with tape or I dunno what anymore , peeked at it a few times during the 9 hour shift....

What're you gonna do with it ? rod it out ? make a good hobby truck out of it ? use it to advertise your business ?

-Nate

3. Brian

Brian Member

RE: Yes it is yet again another of

That serial number makes it a 1950 just as you suspected. I can also tell you it was made in Janesville Wisconsin in the month of January. Lots of things can be changed over 55 years, like your doors.

4. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

RE: What're you gonna do with it?

Actually I did get the truck for a steel... Well at least I think so $500. but you have to understand that a truck in the kind of shape is hard to find her in Canada EH.

You are right about swaping out the striker plate being an easy fix, but as far as I can tell they are the original 50 style which actually would explain the difuculty in shutting the doors properly.

I would have liked to restored the beast but have decided against it as their is not much here to work with, bassically just a shell of it's former glorious self.

I have decided it will be a complete custom truck. 2-3 inch chop in the roof, wedged hood, roll pan up front and out back, a new style box which I hope to create on an english wheel of course with the original rear fenders grafted in, a dual action tail gate similat to those found on the COUGH mmmmer Grumble .... "Honda" Cough Ridgeline, smooth running boards with our shop logo stamped into them, and the word "LONGHORN" stamped into the gate using the original CHEVROLET style text. The doors will be equiped with power windows and locks and the dash will wrap into the doors tapering off to the back to create the look of; of course the longhorn. Seats: 12 way power, charcole and silver leather bonneville with green baseball stiching to mach the 2005 chevy green found on the new silverados. The power plant will be a crate 350 backed by a 700R4 and cought 9". all cradeled inside a superride 2 and a 4 link rear.

But of course this will all come in dew time as I am only 21 and working with a limited buget.

Buy the way the longhorn theam just b/c it is a Texas truck and I am proud to display it as I have family their.

I would upload some pics but it seems to be not working at the moment?