water pump question

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by byates2, Mar 13, 2007.

1. byates2

byates2 Member

I got a 67 C10 with a 283. I want to put a 350 in there. When did they start using the long style water pump, i heard that it may not fit and i could use the short style pump off the original 283 and it should fit good with regards to the radiator and fan shroud, would the short style water pump be able to cool the 350 or can i just go with the long style pump, does it fit in a 67?

2. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Yes pumps long & short will be the same . The point of used your old pump would be to use all your pulleys and power steering if you have it.The long pump on the 350 would have different pulleys placement (ie the belt will not line up the right way and cause the belt to fly off.)
    The pumps will both pump out the same (ie if they both new or both wore out the same amount.)I if you have more room and need closer to the rad the long pump was used . I for get now when the long pump was but in the 60's some time. I would check the pump to make sure there not to much play in the shaft before rebolting it to the 350 since you will have it out then, it's easier then to work on. Maybe get a new one. If your going to use a long nose pump try and get all the pulleys and power sterring with the motor to make lining up the pulleys belts. Unless you know what pulley you need and want to use.

3. drabo

drabo Member

The only real advantage to the long pump is all the set up options. There is far fewer brackets for the short pump set up. If you are replacing the brackets and pulleys then it would be wise to change to the long water pump. You might need a smaller fan spacer to clear the radiator.