Rear glass

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by jmather, Mar 12, 2007.

1. jmather

jmather Member

Good morning,
    I now have the rear glass in the opening, but cannot figure out how to use the lock bead tool to get the beading in. Help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

3. Boopster

Boopster Member

Retainer tool

Jmather, this was a problem for me at first but it really isn't hard when you figure it out.

here is how I did it...
    The tool was actually used backwards from what I thought it would be. First put some kind of water based lubricant in the channel to make the tool slip around the groove.

Put the retainer rubber in the tool and place it starting at the BOTTOM of the window and PULL not push the tool around the window.

I wish I would have taken pictures of us putting the rubber in because this seems to be difficult for many. But, it went in very easy with the lubricant and having the tool correct.

Be carefull not to let it slip or you know what will happen... BIG scratch:eek:

If this doesn't help let me know. I will go to the truck and take another retainer rubber I have and demonstrate in pictures if possible.

TB'sD

4. 52stake

52stake Member

Not all of the tools are the same. Mine is made to be pushed. I use WD40 as a lube and it works well at our shop. Spray the WD onto a Q-tip and apply it to the groove not the strip (keeps the mess down).

Wes

5. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

6. coilover

coilover Member

I don't allow WD40, Armorall, or any silicone spray in my shop because of the devastating effect on surfaces to be painted. Good products but it's fisheye city if near a painting area. What works good is GOJO, slippery as snot (apt comparison) and completely soluble in water. Goop up the groove and it should slide right in. You might heed the previous caution and put a double layer of 2" masking tape around the opening just in case of a slip.

7. 52stake

52stake Member

Evan is right about WD and paint, thats why we apply it into the slot with saturated Q-tip, and it doesn't take much. We paint (boats) before installing glass.

Wayne

8. federale

federale Member

Actually,I put the strip in the rubber before I installed the glass. IIRC you are supposed to do it this way.

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Glass Installation

No , you're supposed to load the rubber into the body , then the glass into the rubber then install the locking strip . the rope/string trick is for grommets that don't have that wretched locking strip .

Rope/string is for Windshields .

As mentioned : DO NOT use any typ of silicone ! .

Veggie oil or liquid soap , like that but NO WD-40 or silicone ! .

10. federale

federale Member

Errrrrrrrr,uhhhhhh,oooooops! Oh well,it worked for me!:eek: