i got new headlights, sort of

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by kyle, Mar 27, 2007.

1. kyle

kyle Member

[​IMG]

There's nothing like adding some of the new age to the old school. I traded a couple of car parts to a guy, and in return got my hands on a $600 set of HID headlights from a mercedes benz. Did i mention HID? These are going to obviously be taken apart and retro fitted into some stock headlights. I love the old look of my truck, but want all the features of a new ride. Enjoy!
    ________
    ZN1100B

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

I'd be excited but...

I don't have a clue what "HID" stands for:confused: Let a geezer in on it, so i can be excited too!

3. Zig

Zig Member

Hid

Bro- It means they're so bright, you'll want to Hide Inside Dummy!:eek:
    Can't wait to see how these fit in!

4. kyle

kyle Member

HID stands for high intensity discharge i believe. It is those headlights you see on fancy bmw and benz' that blind you if your not in a truck to be above the light. Now its time for payback, ill blind them in my truck.
    ________
    GREEN CRACK

5. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

Also known as Zenon....

Good score kyle. Did they come with the control unit and ignitor? Be careful not to touch the bulb with your bare hands, always were surgical gloves when working with this headlight assembly. A little oil on the bulb will cost you about $150.00 a piece. Also when working with these lights be careful to not EVER and I mean EVER unplug and plug these lights in when power is being supplied to them. Turn off the key and take it out of the ignition and turn off the head light switch when working with these. They produce approx 100,000 volts. That could make for a bad day. I to plan on putting zenon's in my truck. Let me know how it works out for you.

6. kyle

kyle Member

i have the entire headlight assembly with the ballast, crontrol units, etc. Everything i need. Dont worry i have plenty of experience with these so ruining the bulbs will be out of the question. But i was thinking, hell by the time my truck is done they may need new bulbs anyways, but i am going to assume they will work perfect when im done with it. The headlights are from a 2002. I'm not sure the life of these bulbs so it may be inevitable. thanks for looking!
    ________
    Buy extreme q vaporizer

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wow ! very cool .

My son is going to put some of those in his VW Racecar . they are brighter and draw less current too ! .

Me , I got some Uber funky Russian bulb - in headlamps that have a parking light _inside_ them and nifty fluted lenses too ~ they look like 1940's tech and prolly are .

8. kyle

kyle Member

todya i took the entire headlamps apart and stole the guts out of them. I am only using the projector lense and its components (the shiny little circle in the headlamp pic above.). I will post pics of the end results of the disassembly when i get home from work.. Then i will install segments about retrofitting them int0 the headlight buckets and new headlamps.
    ________
    Buy Easy Vape Vaporizer

9. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

life of the bulb

Man I've dealt with Zenon's for years. The only reason I have ever replaced a bulb is because the control unit spiked the bulb. Don't worry about them still being good by the time the truck is done because as long as they worked before you put them in, they will work after you put them in. Can't wait to see the pics of the finished product.

10. kyle

kyle Member

with all the experience you have with them, i would have thought you would spell it correctly (xenon), just kidding. He is a pic of the end results of stripping the headlight assembly. Also a pic of my fiance and dog

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ________
    Herbal Shop

11. kyle

kyle Member

my plan is to cut out the back of the headlight bucket, then cut out the back of the standard headlights for our truck. I am going to fit the projectors lenses from the mercedes into the back of the headlamp to replace the orignial light source from the headlight. It will give my truck that "there is something different here but i cant put my finger on it" look. Suggestions are more than welcome
    ________
    RHODE ISLAND DISPENSARIES

12. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

I've worked with BMW to long. This is their spelling where you are right with the rest of the world. Those crazy german's try to brain wash us into their way of thinking. Thanks for bringing me back to reality.:eek:

13. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Trying to upload pics for the first time hope it works, pics are of my new headlights for my 50 1/2 ton
    ________
    Honda Type R history

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  14. kyle

kyle Member

im not going to lie, thats pretty damn funny
    ________
    Assist

15. Zig

Zig Member

What a HOOT!

Great pic there Brit! Speakin' of headlights, I'd show the pair my wife got, but I can't figure how to reduce the picture.:rolleyes:

16. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Zig, just e-mail them to me and i will do it for you, along with any other pics you got of her, just to be helpfull of course!
    ________
    Cheap glass bongs

17. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

2 "candle power" light!

Awesome man! Where did you find them? Are those low beam or high beam?:D

18. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Well if they are on the floor they are low beam but if you put them on the roof.... well im sure you can work it out,

one things for sure, you cant get more ol school than them! 2 candle watt lol
    ________
    Tigerblood

19. kyle

kyle Member

today i cut the back of the buckets out to fit in the mercedes lenses. I am going to weld up some tabs so i can have them held in by springload. Also i am going to find some sort of buffer from the lense brackets and the headlight buckets so the metal isn't rubbing each other and making unwanted noise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ________
    Premacy and mazda5

20. kyle

kyle Member