Too much oil

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by put-put, Apr 9, 2007.

1. put-put

put-put Member

What is the result of putting too much oil in the engine, say about 1/2" to high on the dipstick? Since i changed the oil, i've been having problems with the truck running smoothly.

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Chances are, you've fouled the plugs. No big whoop! Drain some of the oil out, take the plugs out and clean them, check the oil level again and adjust accordingly, re-install the plugs and you should be good to go!

3. put-put

put-put Member

The truck has been running really poor since i changed the oil. I rebuild the engine and ran it about 100 miles before changing. It ran fine before the oil change, now it misses and backfires. i did pull the plugs, they look like it's running rich. Cyl 4,5,6 the plugs look oil fouled. Points looked fine.
    Thanks for feedback.

4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

I will defer to Nate's opinion on this!

Cleaned and re-gapped plug will overcome a poorly running engine which is over filled with oil, but if the problem still exists, then it's time to call in the heavy guns! Nate?

5. 54chevtruck

54chevtruck Member

Take a step back and look back at the basic's . That little amount of oil over the top of the dip stick should not cause what you are speaking of. Are the valves adjusted proper,carb & ignition settings proper,etc...

6. put-put

put-put Member

Steve O, I agree, but that is the only thing that has change (as far as I know!). The engine has less than 140 miles since the rebuild and usually, (!!!!) if things are running great, it's what you did last that causes the problem. Funning thing is, it cranks pretty good, it runs fine fairly well, but after about 5 min it starts bucking and misfires like an old nag!!!

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Bucking As It Warms Up....

Oil or fuel on the fouled spark plugs ? . (snif 'em)

If it backfires and runs bad as it warms up , maybe the condensor is taking a dump . if you have a spare condensor , try this olde tymey field fix : squeeze the suspect condensor with a pair of pliers untill you dent up the case ~ if that makes it run O.K. again , replace the condensor ASAP .

I wonder of you maybe bumped somthing with your elbow when changing the oil.... :confused:

8. 52stake

52stake Member

Steve O, seems to be on the right track to me. It may not be related to the oil change and the over-fill should not cuase your symtoms. At a 140 miles, along with, check the points ect. re-tighten the head and set the tappets.

Wayne

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Warning !

Remember ;

If you decide to re-torque the cylinder head , the engine must be
    stone cold ! this is -very- important .

Set the valves and then run the engine to operating temperature and adjust them again as needed ~ it's O.K. to adjust your valves cold , you just _must_
    re-check them and re-adjust as needed as soon as the engine is hot .

Did you check the basics like fuel siphon and pump output ? . if there's a siphon problem , the pump may well work fine @ intial starup but get prsgressivley lower pressure as the engine continues to operate...

10. put-put

put-put Member

Guys, thanks for all the help. i drained the excess oil out. Then it wouldn't start for anything. So, it certainly wasn't the oil. i pulled the #3 plug and cranked it, weak spark that jumped from one side of the plug to the other. Got a new condensor, installed it and the baby started right up!!! Runs smooth now, ran real rough before.
    Nate, thanks for help and to all of you, great cruising!!

PUT-PUT