You guys are gonna be jealous

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Kevin's 48, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

Have you guys ever heard of a FARGO. I've only seen two of these trucks in my life until today. Today a cargo truck pull up to the shop with a mini and a Fargo on the trailor. The guy pulls the truck off then the mini, then he loads up two other cars on the trailor. I walk over to the old truck and admiring the gorgeous restoration of such a rare vehicle. The guy towing the truck asks if I was a mechanic (like it wasn't obvious that I was cause I was in uniform) I told him I was and depends on what he needed. He threw me the keys to the old fargo and asks if I can get it running. He said he tried for over two hours last night and it wouldn't start. So I climb into the ol truck and crank on it for a second. I wanted to listen for any abnormalties and make sure it had good compression. It did. So I grab the choke and pull it out and turn the key. By the second revolution of the engine the old 6cyl flathead roars to life. I set the choke half way in and it purrrrrrrsss like a kitten. He was so excited that it was running. He ask what he was doing wrong. I asked if he ever started a lawn mower before, because It's same concept you have to manually choke them. He then ask me how to get it in gear (three on the tree of course). I explain the gear run through to him and he ask how he could repay me. I told him a spin in it around the block (jokingly) and what do you know he jumped in the pass side and says lets go. So I got to drive around a chrysler fargo today around a 4 mile loop. I told you guys you would be jealous. I've been on cloud nine every since. The guy was probably in his early forties and was so shocked that a 26 year old new so much about that very rare truck. I thought I'd share with you guys.

Oh yeah sorry (ken) I haven't been on to much lately, it's just my busy season for now and maybe life will slow down here soon. It's good to be back I've missed you guys. I'll try to post pics of the truck. They aren't very good cause they were on my cell phone but that's all I had at the time.

Attached Files:

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Now that's a "feel good" story

Thank your dad next weekend for giving you that little tidbit of knowledge. Makes you want to go back original on your truck now, doesn't it?:D :D

3. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

I don't think that you could make me go back original on my truck (not that there's anything wrong with original) but man it sure did feel good driving down the road in that old truck with the windows down and hearing that little flat head sing. I think 40-maybe 45mph downhill with the wind at your back was top speed. The tranny in that old thing was a little touchy and you had to get a good feel for it. Maybe just because that was my first ever three on the tree drive but you had to be very precise in your shifting or the tranny felt like it wanted to bind. Only if you could see me know my face is still glowing.:D Man what a cool day this has been.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Cool Beans !

That's what , '56 ? . looking mighty sharp there .

For those who don't know : FARGO is Canada's version of DODGE trucks , they're a little bit more austere than U.S. versions but cool nonetheless .

GOOD JOB Kevin ! if you look up " Square Shifting " or " Posative Shifting " you'll find it as I've written it up a hunnert times , that will make it shift like new again , works with -any- ' Three On The Tree ' tranny too .

IIRC , we used to take old Desoto overdrive trannies and fit them to those flathead 6 banger WPC products , then they'd clip right along @ 80 + MPH...

I had a 1950 (?) B1B Dodge pickup with fluid drive and a three speed , factory radio and heater , it was the shop truck for Barlow's Hudson in San Gabriel , Ca. and I bought it from Mr/ Barlow's son who was still spinning wrenches there in the 70's , I paid him $250.00 for it . rust free of course .

Ford Du Canada sold trucks under the " Mercury " nameplate....

5. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

You got it nate, it was a 56 full original restoration. Very nice looking truck and a great driver. It was definately more smooth than I thought it was going to be.

6. Zig

Zig Member

Of COURSE you're a great driver Kevin! You should have shown him how you can hang up his shift linkage with sloppy shifting! Oops- stuck in 2nd... Um, sorry- I gotta get back to the shop now! Thanks for leting me drive it!!! =^)