help

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Aubrey, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Aubrey

Aubrey Member

I just bought a 1947? Chevrolet Thriftmaster truck. It was made in Canada and is a 3/4 or a 1 ton pick-up.The truck has 7.50x17in tires.
    I am not able to find out exactly what year it is, so if anyone could help me , it would be greatly appreciated.
    The serial number is: 7143403505
    engine number: X187608
    Model number: 1434
    Body number: 99
    Trim number: 394
    Paint number: 736
    Thanking you in advance,
    Aubrey

2. Chiro

Chiro Member

Hi Aubrey and welcome to the forum. I'm not much on these numbers, but there are guys on this forum who know this stuff well. I'm surprised nobody has chimed in already. The "serial number" you talk about doesn't sound right to me, however. On the driver's side door pillar there should be a metal plate with a number stamped into it. That should be the number you are looking for to help with identification. If I am not mistaken, these numbers started with a letter which denoted the load of the truck (my truck starts with an "H" which means 1/2 ton). The next numbers will denote the year of the truck, but I am not exactly sure how it goes. I am hoping that others more knowledgable than i will chime in with their expertise. Just wanted to say "Hi" and let you know you are not being ignored.

Andy

3. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Hey Aubrey, welcome to the forum. Canadian truck #'s are completely different from American #'s, so this will probably take a while, but you can bet one of us will crack the code, eh?

4. Aubrey

Aubrey Member

Thanks

Thanks Andy

This truck was made in canada, and the numbers that i am using are from the plate on the drivers side door pillar.This is what is confusing everybody, because there are no letters, just numbers.
    The number on the engine match the numbers stamped on the plate as well.
    I have tried the gm dealership as well as the Dept of motor vehicles and still no luck.
    The truck has a 4 speed transmission, the gear shift is on the floor as well as the hand brake lever(both in the centre)The gas tank is located under the truck, with the filler on the passenger side.
    Again, thanks for taking the time to help.
    Aubrey

5. Aubrey

Aubrey Member

Mystery solved

I just got off the phone with GM and they confirmed that the truck is a 1947.
    If anyone has a GM vehicle that was made in canada, there is a toll free number to call for information. It is 1-888-467-6853.
    For a fee of $35.00 they will send you a package telling you about your vehicle such as where,when it was made,how many were made,the selling dealer as well as anything else they have on record.
    Thank you all for the help and hope this info may be of value to someone.
    Aubrey

6. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Aubrey, did you ask them to send you a restoration packet? They are really handy to have. I did some looking and found out that the first digit "7" is for 1947 and "1434" is the model number. 1434 is the designation for a 1 ton "pickup delivery". Check your wheelbase to see if it's 137". That should confirm that it's a 1-ton.

This is a link to the website i found that should help you out on the verification of the #'s

clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/chevytalk/GMhistory/canchev.html

7. 47 chevrolet

47 chevrolet Member

Hi Aubrey. That is a 1 ton pickup for sure. I have the same style of truck. My ser # number is 7143403885. You have a 9 ft box. My truck came from Alberta. There is Scotts super trucks in Penhold Alberta that have parts for your truck. Ph 403 -886-5572.

8. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Just ou of curiousity...

Where in the serial # did you find out that your truck was built in Alberta? These are hard nuts to crack!:D

9. Aubrey

Aubrey Member

47 chevy

Thanks all for the help in trying to figure out the particulars on my truck.

I received the "restoration package" from general motors last night.
    My truck was built in Oshawa Ont. on October 24th, 1946 and is #99 of 470 that were built that model year.The kit also contains a specifications sheet.
    If anyone is looking for info on an old chevy, there are several numbers that they can be reached.
    Some numbers are: Canada,phone: 1-888-467-6853
    Outside Canada, Phone: 1-905-440-7636 or 1-905-440-7618
    Fax: 1-905-440-7644
    Monday to Friday, from 8:00am. to 5:00pm. Eastern standard time.

I hope this information is usefull to all that have an older chevy.

Again, Thanks and good luck to all in your projects.
    Aubrey