Body Trim Parts for a Forgotten Gem

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Big Yellow, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Big Yellow

Big Yellow Member

Why are there so few parts for the '60 and '61 apache? They were a stunningly ugly/beautiful truck and there are certainly many of them still on the road!
    We just finished restoring a '60 Apache Fleetside to a daily driver/work truck and have been able to find everything we need, except for the smallest part: the metal clips that held on the stainless steel exterior trim.
    The trim for the '60 and '61 was not the same as '62 and later, it was about an inch wide and ran from the front wheelwell to the tailgate, then returned to the rear wheelwell. I have all the trim, but I cannot find the clips to attach it to the many holes in the body. We looked in the NAPA/Balkamp catalogs too.
    Has anyone restored a vehicle of this vintage and not reused the clips?
    I am hoping to finish this thing up this spring and could really use some help with finding this part.
    Greg 504 236 5527

2. 62 short step

62 short step Member

Hey Greg, Welcome from Baton Rouge!! I know what you mean about finding parts for the 60-61. I own a 61 4x4. I havn't seen the clips for the 60-61 fleetsides either. I will keep an eye out for you. Post some pics of your truck, we love pics!! Again Welcome!! Jeremy.

3. 283 man

283 man Member

Sharp looking truck you have their Greg,Welcome to the form.Look in under the form here were it says parts for sale,look up-(many parts for sale in Mn.) guy named Colettesbro, he may have the parts for your trim, noticed he has alot of 60-63 parts.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  4. Big Yellow

Big Yellow Member

Attentive chevy guys

Thanks for the quick response,
    yesterday had trouble loading the photo of Talula, will try again today.
    Thanks for the tip about Cottlesboro as well.

5. 283 man

283 man Member

Nice rims big yellow has what size?:D

6. Big Yellow

Big Yellow Member

New Rims for an Apache

Those are Boss 20's. I was looking for some old style Cragars (you know the ones) but not available in 6 bolt. Found an American Racing Torque-thrust in an 18" for about $1800, too much for the self employed.
    The 20's seemed so big in the (used rim) yard, but they seem to fit pretty well on this thing. Those and new tires for $1000 cash at a shop on Jefferson Highway just outside of New Orleans.

7. generalmotor

generalmotor Member

I bought some chrome cost me 1400 on ebay last year but the windshield is the pain for me

8. sleepysal

sleepysal Member

ahh yes I Hear ya on the 60-61 's !!! Mine is a work in progress, yours looks great welcome from the West coast !

9. colettesbro

colettesbro Member

Owatonna, MN contact info: cell 507.456.3625 email
    Greg,

I am still looking for those metal clips for you.

I have seen them advertised somewhere on the internet. I just can't seem to find them a second time around in my searches. I'll keep trying.

Also, I know of a vehicle in a salvage yard about 175 miles from me that had most of the metal clips still on the truck last summer when I saw it. I assume it is still there as this yard doesn't crush much. If we don't find them soon, let me know if you want me to make a trip for you and get these off the salvage yard truck?

Brian