Little problem ?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by dijoo, Apr 15, 2007.

1. dijoo

dijoo Member

Hello guys !
    Few questions....
    yesterday the motor project came to an end.The new overhault motor is in the Chevy.I did everything with a friend of mine and bought the "nude" overhault motorblock.
    Now the question...
    Is it normal that the oil meter is complete to the wright when i am driving ? When he turns stationairy he is 3/4,when the motor is not running he is to the left.
    And there is a "scream" whiiiiii when i hit the gas and also when i am driving there is the piep,piep,piep.It is not the belt it is in the motor.Yesterday when i did a test drive there was nothing to here,today after approx.30 miles driving it came and stayed.
    Something wrong with the oilpump ?
    Somebody knowes what it is or what i can do ?
    Thanks and greats from Belgium !
    Johan

Attached Files:

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

On the oil pressure- You should see 40 - 50 psi while driving normally. When the motor idles 30 psi is normal. When you hit the throttle hard it will get to 60-70 psi. That is normal oil pressure.

Do you hear the noises ONLY when you are driving? Can you hear the same noise when the truck is NOT moving and the motor is running?

Val

3. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

Looks good!

fort the oil: I would check that oil pressure line for kinks, it's easy to bend and cheap to replace. Make sure the guague is good too. And make sure you have the right amount of oil in there (not too much or too little). You'll get weird readings from the guage either way... my needle is on the right side when going and under load, and drops to somewhere in the middle when idle.

I think dvalentine is on the right track for the noise. Try to narrow it down a little bit. You can try to see if it gets faster with rpm or speed (to see if its the motor or trans maybe... or even suspension related).

4. dijoo

dijoo Member

Thanks dvalentine and sinerasis.
    It is sure that it is the motor.
    I hear the same noise when the truck is not moving and the motor is running,it is just a louder whiiiiiii when i hit the gas so it gets louder with rpm.
    The right amount of oil is also in there.Verry strange and hopefully nothing bad...
    The oil pressure line i have checked for kinks,nothing to see,i just gonna clean it inside with some air pressure.Can it be that the oilpump is giving to mutch pressure ? Easy to check and change the pressure ?
    I have a manual ordered but is not here yet...
    Thanks !
    Johan

Attached Files:

5. dvalentine

It is difficult to give you advice on " a noise " in an Internet Forum. While your English is very good we have a small language barrier as well !

Just a suggestion to a GUESS on my part. Did you properly adjust the valves before starting the motor ?

I do not think it is a problem with too much oil coming from the pump. If the oil pressure is too high, over 60-70 psi ALL the time, it is usually a blocked oil passage or blocked oil filter.

Go back and look at your valve adjustments again. It's a guess, but it could be pushrod noise from the valves being adjusted too tight or too loose.

Val

6. dijoo

dijoo Member

Hi Val,
    the valves are not being adjusted yet.....so there is the knocking sound of the valves (tak,tak,tak)and the scream when i push the gaspedal.
    I wanted to wait with the adjustment of the valves,my friend told me the best thing is first drive the motor loose for approx.100 miles.
    So that is no good idea...

Is there a good trick to adjust them ?
    Yes i know...not easy to tell things via a forum but i am glad you help me,it is all new to me a American V8 motor and also for my friend,he works normaly only at English 4 cylinder motors...

7. dvalentine

You should adjust the valves BEFORE you start the motor. Running them loose can bend, or worse BREAK, the pushrods.

You probably have hydralic valve lifters. Those are set to zero lash.

It's been too long since I touched a motor with solid lifters, I can't remember what the gap is on those.

Val

8. dijoo

dijoo Member

OK i gonna drive no more before they are adjusted and wait for the manual to arive...or does somebody else know the best way to adjust the valves ?
    I will lett you know when it's done and if it's ok or not...
    Val,your c-10 is hot ! Unbelievable pretty ! Something like that here in Belgium on a car show and they wont see at the other trucks and cars !
    Johan

9. generalmotor

generalmotor Member

I have adjusted hydraulic lifter motors while they have ran the rockers if you have the oil deflecting clips you can adjust them easy while it runs. Solid lifter cams I hate em cause they have to be adjusted every 8000 miles or so or more. The noise he is hearing could it be a really bad stuck valve or bent pushrod already. dont take any of my conclusions seriously cause without seeing or hearing I am more than likely way off base. Good luck

10. dvalentine

Thanks Johan,

I really liked the panel truck and was happy with the way it all came out.
    I sold that one last year. My new car is in the pictures gallery here at Classic Parts.

When you check the valve adjustments check the pushrods by rotating them with your fingers. If any of them won't rotate easily they could be bent already. Good Luck.

Val

11. dijoo

dijoo Member

Yes me again,
    the manual is not arived yet...
    The question is now...do i have the hydraulic lifters or the oil deflecting clips ?
    My motor is a small block 283 V8.
    I don't want to see the oil flying in my garage when i start him or while it runs...

Val why did you sell the panel ? Soooooooooooo nice !
    Your new car is also verry nice,whats the brand ?

Johan

12. dvalentine

The clips are used to adjust the valves while the motor is runnin by blocking the oil passages on the rocker arms. They are used if you have solid or hydralic lifters. Who rebuilt the motor ? They will know what lifters were used.

I sold the panel because I didn't have room in the garage for it and a 1937 Ford. It killed me. I almost sold my 2002 Jeep Cherokee BUT, I didn't want to have to leave the panel truck out in the weather.

Val

13. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

What A Coincidence, I Have A 2001 Jeep Cherokee, Great Minds Think Alike.

14. dvalentine

Your probably a hansome devil too !! ;)

15. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

YAAA, BUT NOT QUITE AS HANSOME AS YOU THOU, IM STILL WORKING ON IT. :p

16. dijoo

dijoo Member

Hello guys !
    the valves are adjusted,what a difference !
    It are hydralic lifters no clips to see.
    The little scream (wee wee weeeeee :D ) is still there after driving approx. 30 miles en go's away now when he is not moving and the motor is running.
    Something strange.... meaby it go's away after driving a lot of miles.
    The motor is verry powerfull,the base is a 283 but not standard anymore.I can give you the specifications but it is in German...not easy to translate for me...
    The motor i bought in Germany,it is someone ho works togheter with a guy from the USA.He sells a lot of Chevy and Ford motors on Ebay.
    The photo is from the old motor.
    Thanks again and greats from Belgium
    Johan

Attached Files:

17. dvalentine

"It are hydralic lifters no clips to see."

The clips are put on the rocker arms when you adjust the valves, and removed when the adjustment is finished. They keep th oil from flowing up and getting all over the motor with the valve covers off. Very messy !

I'm happy you have it running better now.

Val