Rear and Qtr window interior trim?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by calebroberts, May 23, 2006.

1. calebroberts

calebroberts Member

Hello AD enthusiasts,

I'm about to finish priming my '53 1/2 ton truck's cab and I wan to fill any non-original holes before I call it done and start painting.

I have a question regarding some holes that I suspect weren't original: screw holes surarounding the rear window and corner windows - similar to holes for the stainless trim around the windshield and door windows.

Was there ever a stock / original accessory trim around the rear and corner windows? I'm pretty sure there was nothing in those holes before I took the truck apart.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Caleb

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: Rear and Qtr window interior tr

Not that I'm aware of , sounds interesting tho' , was there anything in these holes when you aquired the truck ? where was it built ? .

-Nate

3. calebroberts

calebroberts Member

Hey Nate,

VIN: H53S006891 - indicates St. Louis (I believe).

I've scoured all the documentation that I have and can find. Though the holes are clean and look nicer than many of stock holes, symmetric around the windows, I can't find any reason that they should have been there. They're getting filled today. If I find some reason that they should be there then I can alwasy drill them out again!

thanks,
    Caleb

4. mikesters1950

mikesters1950 Member

Caleb, on my 50, I have holes around the rear window also. I always thought, due to location, they were for trim. Like you, I am thinking of filling them in someday. Guess I'll keep looking for an answer until I ever get ready to fill them......Mike

5. Bossman

Bossman Member

I don't see any on my '49 1 1/2 ton 4408. Do you have the glass installed? Is it possible the holes are covered by the rubber glass gaskets when the glass is installed? According to the Factory Assembly Manual each corner window is supposed to have 21 locations for spot welding the inner and outer cab together. It also calls for 40 spot welds for the rear window. These would be covered by the rubber glass gasket. Maybe that is what you are seeing. These would be along the pinch weld.

6. calebroberts

calebroberts Member

I believe that the welds you're talking about are on the flange where the exterior sheet metal is joined to the interior shett metal. These are screw holes that are visible a small distance outside the perimeter of the window gaskets. I'd have to look but I believe there are 16-20 of these holes around the back window. They are symmetric (not sloppily done). There are also similar holes around the top, bottom and rear perimeter of the corner windows but not on the forward (door pillar) edge.

7. calebroberts

calebroberts Member

Mike,
    Does your ca have corner windows also with holes around them too? I'm curious if they're a similar or same pattern of holes. I'll have to go out and count them and report back. Caleb

8. mikesters1950

mikesters1950 Member

Caleb, I went and checked. There are no holes, or signs there ever were holes on the corner windows. The holes on the back window almost appear that something may have been mounted, and maybe not a trim. I wonder if there were accessories for these trucks? Maybe a rack or a shade. Just thinking out loud. May never find out what it was due to the age.....Mike

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: Window Frame Holes

This really -is- interestng .

Back many years ago , in the GREAT state of Texas , they'd make up these louvered window screens that mounted inside the windows , you could see out but the blazing sun & heat (you really have to experiance Texas to understand) couldn't shine in ~ I wonder if your truck maybe had a set of these , last set I saw was in 1972 on a 60's vintage station wagon from Texas....

-Nate

10. calebroberts

calebroberts Member

RE: Window Frame Holes

Hey Nate,

Whay mine had may be something similar or maybe altogether different. I found more of these holes when I went to clean up the doors and even a couple in the floor. I figure maybe some shop put in a fancy interior at some point and maybe use some sort of pneumatic nailer to attach it. The little holes are nice and square. There were remnants of white paint with red metalic flakes and one of the previous seat covers that was still under one of the newer seat covers wa sparkly red and white - looked like something off a power boat from the 70s.

thanks to all who helped.
    Caleb