stock temp gauge / 350 crate?

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by vonzipper, Apr 20, 2007.

1. vonzipper

vonzipper Member

o.k. I need some help I have a 350 crate motor running around 180 with a stock instrument panel / gauges, everything is working except the water temp gauge reads hot. is there a sending unit that could work for this application an bring the gauge back in the middle. maybe I'm asking to much but it would be nice if it worked properly, thank you, von

[​IMG]

2. 4JSAToo

4JSAToo Member

Your question is a little confusing..You state that the crate motor is running at 180 degrees with stock gauges but the water temp gauge reads hot?
    Don't quite know what your asking but FYI new motors do have a tendency to run hotter till broken in.

3. vonzipper

vonzipper Member

thank you but the motor is broken in, i just bought a new sending unit and i thought all sending units are the same. i was hoping to get a reply about one that works better with the temp gauge in the stock dash, maybe i'll try and get a old stock one and try that.

4. ljw

ljw Member

I have a 383 stroker that has the stock sender and gauge,and works properly together. The choice of thermostat greatly influences what your running temp will be.

5. dane st. cyr

dane st. cyr Member

there are several different switches out there and it depends how ur running your switch, I had a guy install his switch into a pipe nipples and this gave a false reading

6. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

There is some that have different temps. But the other thing like said is where it put & or the stat you are using. Best thing testing them in a pot on the stove, and buy a meat temp gauge to check them to get Idea of there range. For mec gauges it's easier but electic gauges have to run some power and make sure you do not burn wires. the best place is the heads run hotter then the intake. The if you have alum heads it's better to run the temp sender there. Because that what you your trying to save.
    The temp @ the head will read hotter then the intake or rad.So you have to take a little bit of that reading in to account. All gauges read a little bit different then each other to. So once you find out what you gauge reads on the ave with you motor and where it's run from. then you what the norm is on yours.