Front Axle

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by Ol' Blue_59, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Ol' Blue_59

Ol' Blue_59 Member

I'm new comer here so let me introduce myself. My name is Toby Harter, I'm 18 years old and live in Colome, SD. The question I have pertains to the front axle on my '59 Apache 32. Today, my uncle and I put new king pins in the front and we found that on the driver's side, the hole on the axle is wore some. I was wondering if any of you out there have a suggestion as to how I can get ride of the wear. I thought maybe it could be bushinged out, but yet I do not know. Any info would be helpful! Thanks!!

2. dane st. cyr

dane st. cyr Member

I have had over sized bushing made and that has worked well ,
    grease alot and often .

3. ljw

ljw Member

if your axle is worn badly-you might also try another one. A lot of people toss these in favor of independent suspensions,and might even be free! I'm not an expert mechanic-but when I rebuilt my front, I probably should have gotten oversize king pins and had the holes reamed,but my front is tight enough that it aligns and tracks well without the telltale clacking that a loose front ususally sounds like.

4. NDtruck

NDtruck Member

Other options include the purchase of a new drop axle if you are looking to keep the originality or otherwise don't want the extra cost/skill required for an IFS.

classic performance parts has them I believe as well as a few other vendors.