Rear gears for '49 1-ton

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by danthonyg, May 27, 2006.

1. danthonyg

danthonyg Member

This is my first time posting but i have been reading all of the posts and it has been very helpful. I've been told that in order to get higher speed rear gears for my 1949 1-ton that i need to look in a Hollander Interchange manual, but i have not been able to find anyone who has one. does anyone know what year truck i could get the ring and pinion from or do any of you know where i could call or go to get the informnation i need.
    Thanks
    Dave

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Hi Dave ;

Forget about the Torque Tube swap as you'd need to find an old '47 Chevy passenger car and much other small parts no longer common in junkyards or farmer's fields .

This info is all listed in very good detail over on The Stovebolt Page , you'll have to dig for it as the detailed post was about 6 ~ 7 years ago IIRC .

Most folks go get skinny tall tires as this helps a goodly bit look down a few posts for my post regarding the correct radial tire size and follow it .

If that's not fast enough , Patric's sells 3.55:1 ring & pinion kits , they're a bit tricky to install but I know many have done it with NO experienace just by following the shop manual...

Remember please that these trucks were designed to go 45 ~ 50 mph and so have marginal brakes and steering for speeds above that .

They're death traps , make no bones about that part so drive safely and wear a seat blet .

Enjoy your truck , yes the 216 or 235 engine is fine for highway travel but NOT for running high RPM's . (over 3000)

-Nate

3. ltcmikem

ltcmikem Member

There are recent posts in the forum on oldgmctrucks.com that advise that the 3.55:1 ring & pinion kits are no longer available from Patricks. To my knowledge this was the only source for these kits, but one of the posts indicates that a new source may soon be available.

Mike M
    '27 Chevy
    '41 John Deere B
    '49 GMC FC-150

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Oh that's bad .

At least you'll always be able to find some from a guy who's destroying a stock truck and junking out the Torque Tube , I see lots of rebuilt engines & trannies go this route..

-Nate

5. dngaspersich

dngaspersich Member

Dan, I am currently working on a '51 1 ton which is probably the same as your '49. Mine has a partial torque tube to carrier bearing, then breaks off to an open drive shaft to the axle. My stock gears are 5.14 to 1 ratio. I am planning on swapping them out for 4.57 to 1 ratio gears I got outta a '51 3/4ton. My research has shown that all I need to do is swap the drop out third member & slide the axle shafts back in. If this sounds like an option for you be aware that some 3/4 tons came with the 5.14's. I am hoping this swap will drop the RPM's a bit as I am running smaller tires than the stock 17"ers. Dave

6. danthonyg

danthonyg Member

Thanks to evryone who posted replys. I will keep allof that in mind when making my decision. Thanks a lot. Dave

7. dngaspersich

dngaspersich Member

Dan, one other thing I forgot to mention. The Eaton axle was used up until around '72 in 3/4 and 1 tons. You can find some equipped with 4.11's and I have heard possibly 3.90's. Some even came equipped with Detroit lockers. Dave:)

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Dave is entirely correct ~ I was thinking of the 1/2 ton truck .

You'll find 390 & 3.72 ratio pumpkins in every Pick-A-Part typ jusnkyard across America , look for the G series vans and delivery trucks as most were equipped with auto tranny ands those are the ones with desirable ratios , passenger vans have the best ratios .

check the axle splines before you pays your $$ , I dunno if you can swap the spider gears to suit or not .

Good luck hunting ! .

-Nate