Tranny Filter

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by Alex Ayala, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Alex Ayala

Alex Ayala Member

:confused:Hey Guys, I have a 350 turbo tranny, I changed the filter and gasket last night, took a test drive and it wouldn't shift.

I looked at the old filter and I noticed that one side said "FRONT" on it, could I have put the filter on wrong without knowing it? I didn't really look at the new filter when I put it on. Any ideas?

Thanks,

2. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

The Filters Definetly Have To Be Put In Properly To Get The Correct Fluid Flow. I Would Check To Be Sure.

3. drabo

drabo Member

I thought it would only go on one way. Make sure you have enough fluid in it when it is warm.

4. Alex Ayala

Alex Ayala Member

It went on and the pan cleared Ok, I filled it with ATF and moved the selector through all the gears and rechecked the fluid level while it was idling. I think I'm going to drop the pan again just to make sure the filter is in correctly.

Thanks for the input,

5. Alex Ayala

Alex Ayala Member

Hey guys, I went home last night and drained the tranny, dropped the pan,checked the filter and it was put in correctly. I'm with you drabo, I thought it could only go on the one way but since I don't remember noticing if the stamp on the filter that said "FRONT" was toward the front I wanted to be sure. I was putting the pan back on when I noticed the hose to the modulator was disconnected. I reconnected it, filled the fluid to full level and away we go!

I'm glad it wasn't anything serious but now I'll have to wait until the next filter change to find out if it IS possible to put the filter on the wrong way??

Anyway just wanted to share and say thanks again for the input,

6. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

LoL thanks for the read, glad you just had a litle bitty snag.