87 Fuel Pump Died (I think)

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by 87ChevyKris, Sep 10, 2006.

1. 87ChevyKris

87ChevyKris Member

Jumped in my 87 (350 TBI) this morning and turned the key. Strong crank but didn't start. I noticed the fuel pump did not whirrr like I'm used to. Seems like it is not getting power or maybe just gave out. If the pump is bad, it should still make some noise right? Seems more like a power issue.

If I need to replace the fuel pump, can I get to it by removing the box and not dropping the tank? (looks like there is enough room beneath the cab).

Thanks!

Kris Yagel

2. Heavy86Chevy

Heavy86Chevy Member

Check for fuel pressure first with a manual fuel pressure gauge. If there is no pressure than check the fuel pump fuse. if that is good than yes it is most likely the pump itself. do you have saddle tanks? or 1 tank. because removal of the sending unit from the tank might be hard to do without the tank sittin on the ground. I would suggest removing the tank and replacing the pump.

3. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

I would all so check for the TRICKY Grounds "after years and bump, shaking, rust, air, rain, sand, rocks" they go bad or brake too. All so as said bye Heavy86Chevy too + you can hot wire it to check it. Be fore getting a new one. Oh make sure all connection are good and clean .

4. 87gmc4x4

87gmc4x4 Member

it could be the senser in the distributor that tell the injectors to work or if your geting fuel to the injectors it would be an cracked distributer those are two things that went wrong with my 87 gmc 350tbi parked it for five minutes and wouldn't start it was that sensor

5. gvrock43

gvrock43 Member

It could also be the hose that connects the pump to the fuel line inside the tank came lose. I had that happen in my 87 Blazer. A big hassle dropping the tank but worth it. Replaced the pump since I already had it off.