Vacuum Advance Won't Clear Intake

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by Bear43, May 4, 2002.

1. Bear43

Bear43 Member

First off, Hello to everyone.

Second, my problem. I have a '63 C-10 with a 350. Recently I installed a new intake and carb. I put on a Holley Street Dominator intake and an Edelbrock 4bbl. My problem is that I cannot get the engine timed properly because the vacuum advance hits the back of the intake. I am using a stock style distributor. Anyone have any ideas as to what to do such as a different style of distributor and/or vacuum advance or will I be stuck with the stock intake?

2. 78subgeorge

78subgeorge Member

RE: Vac Advance Won't Clear Intake

>First off, Hello to everyone.
    >
    >Second, my problem. I have a '63 C-10 with a 350. Recently I
    >installed a new intake and carb. I put on a Holley Street
    >Dominator intake and an Edelbrock 4bbl. My problem is that I
    >cannot get the engine timed properly because the vacuum
    >advance hits the back of the intake. I am using a stock
    >style distributor. Anyone have any ideas as to what to do
    >such as a different style of distributor and/or vacuum
    >advance or will I be stuck with the stock intake?

1. Remove distributor cap.

2. Line up timing marks on firing stroke [rotor pointing at #1 terminal on dist. cap]

3. lift up distributor & turn rotor clockwise so gear on the end of distributor shaft moves one tooth clockwise & re-engages with cam gear

4. Bump starter so oil pump drive re-engages with bottom of distributor [this lets distributor drop down flush with intake manifold surface

5. repeat step #2

6. Rotate distributor housing so rotor will align with #1 terminal on cap, and points [or electronic pickup] are at the place that will fire the coil

7. This should have moved the distributor housing about 20 degrees clockwise when cylinder #1 fires, giving more room between manifold & vacuum advance

8. If still not enough clearance, move another tooth clockwise

9. set timing