off subject vw

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by henry51, Aug 7, 2007.

1. henry51

henry51 Member

Hey nate I bought this 72 vw almost to weeks ago, have put about 500 miles on it since then, was wondering if you had any suggestions on how to keep it running well. How often should I adjust valves, change oil?
    It starts right up with just bumping the key, idles smooth and has a good amount of low end tourqe. I hope they dont get upset for posting this here but there is an AD in the background.:)
    Thanks Henry
    [​IMG]

2. Flipper

Flipper Member

It looks like a fresh resto.

If it hasn't already been done, replace the fuel lines (cloth/rubber ones).

Too many bugs have caught fire over rotten fuel lines.

3. cochran

cochran Member

I have a 1973 Karmann Ghia. Like flipper said, as well as I was told to put clamps on the fuel lines where they connect (like at the carb and fuel filter).

I do the valves every oil change. Its not really that much work to do once you've done it a few. I am very careful not to kill the valve cover gasket so I do not have to replace it every time. I do timing every other oil change as well as re-torque the heads (This was vwnate recommendation to me when I got my ghia). Also, always check the oil... every fuel up. That and the fan belt.

I am no expert but I have learned a lot with my Ghia so feel free to email me direct at truckin @ splakow.com if you have any questions.

4. Zig

Zig Member

I love the yard art!:D

5. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Best way is to sell both them modern cars and get the AD painted and finished:D

6. Flipper

Flipper Member

FYI... I have a bug too.

[​IMG]

7. henry51

henry51 Member

Thats a good looking bug. I thought I seen that coverd up in one of your earlier post.

I've read alot about not having the fuel filter near the engine. I'm not sure were else to put it, I dont really want it under the car or under the tank.
    Doesnt seam like a good idea to put it in front off the steel lines.:confused:

8. Flipper

Flipper Member

Yeah the bug is at my dad's house waiting on me to modify the inner fenders (I narrowed the front end five inches and am running 175/65/15 front tires....therefore I need to cut/weld/beat on the inner fenders for more clearance)

Some people have the fuel filter next to the transmission.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

VW Service Notes

Quickly as I'm just home from vacation and we had some troubles , 'K ? .

Oil change every 3,000 miles , NO EXCEPTIONS ! , valve ajust every oil change , you'll usually only need to adjust one or two if you do this frequently .

Re-torque cyl9nder heas once a year or every 10,000 miles , ENGINE COLD ! .

Only use the correct 5MM cloth covered fuel hose and change it annually regardless of miles , sooner if it cracks or makes noise when you flex it . NO clamps are neede with the correct fuel hose , if you think you're smarter than VWAG and use 1/4" American made fuel hose with cleamps , expect it to catch fire and burn to the ground . clamps will not stop wrong size hose from slipping off .

Install the fuel filter (NAPA # 3011) in the pressure hose between fuel pump and carby . NOWHERE ELSE ! . fuel filters DO NOT CAUSE FIRES ! . period .

Look at the crankshaft pulley and tell me how many notches it has cut into it , , a '72 only had one plus a litte shallow depressed mark off to the _left_ of the 'V' cut . might be any of many different ones on ther by now , show me and I'll show you how to time it best .

More later , 'K .

Looks very nice , I've had several old Beetles this same nice green color .

10. henry51

henry51 Member

Can you tell anything from this? I was told the car was original with the original engine rebuilt.

[​IMG]

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Whoa !

I don't even put used engines in beaters that are that ugly ! :eek:

Lesse , where to begin :

Engine serial number appears to begine with AK and that's not a 1972 Suffix . (books not here to reveal model year but it's not important)

Distributor is a single vacuum pull , combination mechanical/vacuum advance typ , _far_ better than the orginal dual pull typ one IMO .

Fuel pump is from a 1973 and newer Beetle with alternator , does this car have an alternator instead of the original generator ?. (if so, GOOD !)

Please turn the crank pulley untill the timing totch is pointing straight up and post another picture , O.K. ? .

Go to Amazon . com and buy " The Idiot's Guide To VW Repair ", don't pay over $10.00 unless it's brandy new .

Is this a single port or dual port engine ? I cannot tell from this close in picture...

Next question ? .

:p

12. 1950gmc girl

1950gmc girl Member

No fair! I want a bug too!!!! I think a little yellow one would look nice next to my truck. What do ya think.

13. Zig

Zig Member

I don't know~ UNDER it might look pretty darn cool too.

14. henry51

henry51 Member

Haven't had a chance to get another pic yet, mabye the next day or so. It is a dual port with a generator.

15. henry51

henry51 Member

I know where a nice yellow one is in Indiana.

16. put-put

put-put Member

Henry51, what a great looking VW. I'd like to find one in such great shape. not many left here in NW FL. Congratulations!!

17. sloromon

sloromon Member

my girlfriend wants a bug for a daily driver, but she wants the cabriolet version. those seem to be quite a bit harder to find.

jon

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

SCADS Of Typ I Convertibles

...Are to be found in The Recycler or The Auto Trader ~ just watch out for RUST amazingly , a few years ago I bought a fuel injected 1978 Beetle ragtop and went through it , dumped $4,500.00 into it and then bailed as the " Barney " colored purple paint was making me crazy , I had the devil of a time selling it and finally took a bath @ $1,700.00.........

Not a _speck_ of rust anywhere on it , all new engine seals and F.I. hoses ($pen$ive lil' buggers thise are !) , new tires on correct cross top powder coated wheels , everything worked (heater , horn, dome light,EVERYTHING)

Sigh .

19. henry51

henry51 Member

I't might be bit before I can get another pic. My camera quit working, have to get another one.