Brake Light Switch ?

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by jdwestsr, Aug 13, 2007.

1. jdwestsr

jdwestsr Member

I'm having trouble even finding the brake light switch on the 83 C10 we just purchased. I have no brake lights - the bulbs and the fuses are good so I suspect the switch may be broken or missing. Any diagrams, pictures or advice would be appreciated.

2. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Look on the top of the peddle 73-87 all in the same place just under the bottom part of the steel dash part you should see it. Most are black looking about 3 to 4 inches long. Should have one or two conector attched to it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  3. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

Remove the dash pieces beneath the steering column and you can get to it. Just to the right of the column. It has a 2 wire connector, one white one orange.

4. jdwestsr

jdwestsr Member

Thanks nerfherder78 & Pontiac 1976

Thanks for the help guys. The switch was much farther up than I would have guessed, as well as offset to the right by a couple of inches. Just 'jiggled' it and it seems to work fine now, though not 100%. If we hit the pedal hard the lights always come on, if we ease into it they come on about 1/2 the time. When it's not 110 degrees in the garage I will take the switch out and check the spring.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  5. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

It can be ajusted. the spring might be gummed up a bit after all these years. Or the spring just getting weak on light pressure only works good all the pressure off.