engine running rough

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by oldblue64, Aug 19, 2007.

1. oldblue64

oldblue64 Member

My 64 chevy truck is running rough right now.At first I thought it was the fuel filter,so I changed it.Still not running right.When its Idling it runs fine,but when you get in to it , it falls on its face.Like I said I checked fuel filter,and plug wiring.Need help bad,I'm about to pull my hair out.

2. Nefarious79

Nefarious79 Member

It could be any one number of things, say the coil, iginition timing, the carb ect... What do the plugs look like?

3. oldblue64

oldblue64 Member

Hey tech Travis, Just wanted to let you know I found the problem.It all started when I bought my truck a few months ago.The truck had sat for God only knows for how many years.Well I started by removing the gas tank and cleaning it out the best I could.Within 2-hours I had it running.I ran it for a while then I went and bought a new carb,plug wires,cap.Its been running great for awhile,then it started.My gas filter started showing signs of trash.I removed it,ran good for about a day.So I removed the tank again,cleaned it with paint thinner.A guy at Auto Zone told me about this.I'll tell you,it works grat for cleaning a gas tank.While Iwas at it,I removed the carb and cleaned it.The truck runs great now.I would recommend the paint thinner for claning the tank.Thanks again for your reply.