new guy with question

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 64shortbed, Aug 23, 2007.

1. 64shortbed

64shortbed Member

hi every one my name is mark. i live in dighton ks. im workin on a 64 gmc pickup shortbed. the question i have is does anybody know were or if i can find the sheet metel for the cab above the windshield? mine is rusted bad and i have not found the piece i need. i do have another pickup im usein for parts but its rusted out on the right side too. if anyone know were to get this piece or were to find one i would apresheate it. thanks

2. 283 man

283 man Member

Welcome to the forum.That part of the cab would allmost be unrepairable.Be a lot better off finding a cab that doesnt have the rust in that spot of cab.

3. 62 short step

62 short step Member

I don't think anyone reproduces that piece. You can get some sheetmetal and fab a section for what you need or you can find a cab in a yard and cut out the piece you need.

4. generalmotor

generalmotor Member

make sure if you cut the good cab you cut the whole top off cause if you dont more than likely the body guys wont have enough to fix yours. That procedure on mine cost me about 1100 bucks with cost of the new cab parts and labor

5. 283 man

283 man Member

My opion it would be a lot easier and cost less to get 64-66 chevy-gmc donor cab,lot less work with the right tools.:rolleyes:

6. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

If your roof is rotted out there you want to check the hinge pillars of the cab for the same condition. The roof rots out because of the sealant on the drip rail being compromised allowing water to seep inside the cab between the inner and outer sheetmetal. The water then runs down inbetween the two pieces of sheet metal rotting everything in it's path. Check the hinge panels, and inner kick panels as well as the floors around the kick panels. If you find rot in those places it would be less expensive to look for a doner cab instead of trying to repair all that sheet metal. None of those panels, except the floors and rockers, are produced in the aftermarket. So you would need a good solid doner anyway.

Best of luck.

Val

7. generalmotor

generalmotor Member

yes it would be cheaper to get a new cab I agree but if you want to keep originality you keep the same cab and cabs for pre-63 are hard to come by. Also the cabs rot this way also from little guests making nests in the area above the window. Mine sat in a field for 27 years before I started the work on it. So needless too say there was a lot of little guests in the thing over time. Only thing I can say is be patient and dont take shortcuts on the cab it can be costly over the long haul.

8. 64shortbed

64shortbed Member

thanks for the info on the panel. i do have two other cabs one is roted on the left side the other is roted on the right side. think i will use both and fix mine. the cab im fixin is in a lot beter shape than the others as far as floor and rockers. and again i thank for the info. if any body needs some parts im goin to have some im sure. just hit me up i know ill have extra gmc and chevy grills one of each a little dinted but fixable both are painted. other than that i still have to tear in to them.

9. billydonn

billydonn Member

cab woes

Mark,
    I had the very same issue years ago. Solution? Replacement cab or (in my case) cut the entire top off another one and weld it on. Good luck... keep us posted.

10. 64shortbed

64shortbed Member

well like i said i have two other cabs one is roted on one side the other is roted on the other side. ill just cut both out and put them together and put it on the cab im usein ill let ya no how it goes but dont plain on doin that for awhile.

11. billydonn

billydonn Member

triple transplant

:D Now that sounds tricky! Be sure and take pictures, including shots of your suicide, when you do it!

12. 64shortbed

64shortbed Member

how hard can it be HAHAHA!!!!! just need to know what i doin and take my time. i do body work as a hobby and my cousin does it as a job. so ill have him help.

13. billydonn

billydonn Member

NOTHING is impossible... but it can get close. If you pull it off I will salute you for the parsimonious use of old parts. Good luck...LOL.

14. rustbucket

rustbucket Member

Bud, welcome to MY world. My 63 has the exact problem and it is not an easy fix. I can only echo what everyone else has said...look around for a GOOD sheet metal shop that can fabricate that part for you, or, get a donor cab. I had to laugh at Generalmotor's comment about his little guests. I had 'em too. They took the seat stuffing up into the roof cavity. Good luck. Let me know how it turns out.