engine not starting

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by leahighra, Aug 8, 2007.

1. leahighra

leahighra Member

I Got my carb modified and is not set in place and is good.. and I replaced the battery... But i am still unable to get the engine to crank... I was checking the voltage to the distributor and it seems a little low... I have replaced the distributor rotator and the spark plugs.. But I am still not getting her to crank.. she turns over and over but refuses to start. Its getting annoying... I dont know what else to try other than rewiring the line from the starter to the distro...

2. 62 short step

62 short step Member

Do you have a points dizzy with a coil? The coil could be bad. Also check the points.

3. billydonn

billydonn Member

??? Is carb only thing you have changed on a previously running truck? If so... it must be fuel related. Have you changed the distributor? Timing too far advanced or way off will cause non-start... double check that.

4. drabo

drabo Member

New carb???? Try pouring a small amount of gass down the carb to help get it primmed. If it dosen't start running while pouring gas down the carb then you got other issues.

5. leahighra

leahighra Member

I have been trying to prime it that way and in the past it has worked. I think maybe im not getting the spark to the distributor.. Im going to check the cords and check the line from the battery to the starter and up to the dist. Hopefully I can get a battery with enough power to turn her over.... Its turning into a bit of a hunt....

6. billydonn

billydonn Member

Was everything okay (start and run) before you changed the carb?
    YES- probably a carb problem
    NO/Dont Know- could be a variety of things

You haven't answered 62 Short Step's question yet. What kind of dizzy is it? HEI? Points?
    Has the timing been changed? If your battery shows 12.5 to 13 volts it should start an engine in decent tune.You said she "turns over and over..." so it sounds like its not a battery problem. Do you know how to check to see if the plugs are firing?

Again- advanced timing can cause a non-start that can imitate a weak battery. (Chug,chugish)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  7. leahighra

leahighra Member

yeah its all firing. Its a points set up. the battery is fine but there is not enough juice going to the distro. Its only getting about 8 or 9. so I think it may be the cylenoid on the started or the Wire may be bad. When I get a few more dollars and hours Ill be re wiring and putting in a new ignition system. Ill prolly change the cables too just to be safe. I checked the "spark" on the cables the "hard way", they are fine. I even checked the compression to make sure I had no fouled valves. everything is fine. Im just going to do a complete rebuild and upgrade on some components to include true dual exhaust. Just need the money and time...

8. billydonn

billydonn Member

If a good hot spark is jumping to the spark plugs from the plug wires, it seems to me that the distr. is doing it's basic job... except for timing. Haven't worked on a points dizzy in many moons but I think there is a resistor in the power wire to reduce the voltage to it. Sometimes this is in fact a resistor wire.

My diagnosis remains: carb problem or timing too advanced.

Recommended link: http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/chevymain1.shtml

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  9. leahighra

leahighra Member

yup

i agree i prolly screwed up the carb. im giong to check the Dist timing again and see whats goin on with that... im heading to Korea in 5 months so Ihave a very short period of time to get it fixed and going again...

10. drabo

drabo Member

Try cleaning up the points with emery cloth or a burnishing tool. It's basically super fine sand paper and the burnishing tool is a super fine file. Have fun in ROK. I was at the Kun in 04 and it was a blur of alcohol. But don't worry my kidney's are fine. Are you storing your old girl?

11. leahighra

leahighra Member

yeah she will be sitting at my inlaws until I return and can drag her to my follow on. hoping to re enlist before then and If I can then I will be getting a new crate and tranny for her and Ill drive her to my followon rather than store her.