different control arms?

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by vincent, Aug 9, 2007.

1. vincent

vincent Member

Hey folks been away for a while(6 months) but i'm back!
    I am lowering my 87 GMC 3/4. I have new 1/2 ton drop spindels,drop springs drop shocks, ball joints, rod ends, rotors and callipers. I have a second set of control arms and rods from 73 to 87 chevy 1/2 ton. But the top arms are different the bushing size is different. The 1/2 ton bushing OD is 1 5/8 and the 3/4 ton bushing OD is 1 3/8. I have an energy suspension poly set for 73 to 87. I know i can use the arms with the larger bushing hole but there is too much space between the bushings the sholder of the rod the sholder of the rod is about a 1/2 inch too short 1/4 per side.
    Can I put shims in between the bushings and the shoulder of the rod? If so do I center it out or shim to one side? if to one side then do i shim it to front or rear of the truck?
    So why would the bushings be smaller on a 3/4 ton than 1/2 ton? that doesnt make much sense.:confused:
    any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. vincent

vincent Member

Thanks for all your help! it is almost together now can't wait to take it for a ride.

3. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

The only thing that come to mind would be the 12 bolt diff. in the 1/2TON 14 bolt in the 3/4 bigger diff.
    Not sure what to say but I most likely put center with shimes on both sides
    but mode point now. I would like to here how it rides how you like it.

Did you do the whole truck with energy suspension poly set ? I did one of my car suspension but have not did the body mounts yet. I was thinking of doing the truck in a few years. I did all the body mount with factory poly set from the brands/ makes from the late 1990's - early 2003 K-frames i made work, I really like it best part it was free. It droped the body 1-1/2 to 2" feel good.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007