woo hoo engine time. now what trany?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by leahighra, Sep 17, 2007.

1. leahighra

leahighra Member

Can someone suggest a tranny for this engine. I am going to buy this plant hin the next two months and am in need of direction for a tranny. Im looking to go to a automatic just to get out of the semi feeling of the manual.

Since i am heading to Korea in mar im re enlisting on the 1st those of you who are in the AF know about the SRB that I will be getting and thats going to pay for my engine and tranny. WOOHOO. finally a break in my plans to kick out a bad ass truck.

http://www.proformanceunlimited.com/specs/350_375drop.html

2. 283 man

283 man Member

700r good for saving you money on gas.I have a 350 turbo had no problems out of it,plus 2 spare 350 turbos to boot in case something ever does go wrong.Take care over their in Korea.Thank You for defending our Nation, God Bless America:D

3. drabo

drabo Member

Korea was a blur for me, but it sure was fun. Just like 283 Man said 700R4 is the way to go. It saves on gas and has a lower first gear. That will give you a little more umph when you hit the go-go pedal. More importantly you will be able to keep up with traffic. My truck can easily cruise at 75 MPH and has pleanty left to give.
    There are a couple mods you will need to make for it. First the drive-shaft will need to be shortened (2 1/2"????), crossmember will need to be moved back and replaced, a tv cable and tv corrector bracket (for aftermarket carb), and lastly it needs to be wired up for a lock-up switch.

www.bowtieoverdrives.com

Enjoy Korea and stay away from the juicies (they'll try to take all your money).

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

With over 350 HP a "stock", 700R4 may NOT be the way to go. Check out http://www.700r4.com and look over their specs on supporting over 350 hp with a 700 R4.

Other than that, it's a perfect transmission. Invest in a trans cooler in addition to the radiator core cooling lines.

Val

5. drabo

drabo Member

So true. You are a little too high on HP for a stock 700R4. But they do build them for your power range.

6. leahighra

leahighra Member

I was thinking maybe the series 2 700R4. I was also looking into what IGNITION system I should put in her...

7. drabo

drabo Member

I'm running a Mallory Unilite, Mallory coil and 8MM wires and she fires right up in -20 in the winter. It is an easy set up and there are no points to go bad. Just has an optical trigger sensor for the firing.

8. billydonn

billydonn Member

Your engine supplier's website says they can recommend transmissions. For local hotrod TH350 or 400 is enough. But if you want to really cruise you MUST have overdrive. Re: ignition... you will find it hard to beat a new custom HEI from Performance Distributors.

9. leahighra

leahighra Member

ok i have deided to go with just a rebuild for my current engine. its looking like over 10K for my engine and everyting that I want done to it at once if I go with a V8 crate. and I ned to save a little money for other things. so I am going to have the 230 rebuilt and performance parts and kits added to it and true dual exhaust. kinda what i want. i love the engine it has. and its original so it makes it better. Ill be sending it in in a month and should have it back two weeks after that. I cant wait to get back behind the wheel.

10. drabo

drabo Member

Try looking at your local GM dealer for the GM 350/290 HP PN# 12499529. It's a decent base motor with 76cc heads and four bolt mains. You can easily squeeze out some more HP with a cam swap. The best part is alot of GM dealers offer a military discount. Sometimes it ends up being cheaper than a rebuild. I think it runs around $1100.

11. billydonn

billydonn Member

B65: You have gone from wanting a "bad ass truck" to loving your inline six while we were giving transmission advice? Rebuilding a six (esp. for performance)can be much pricier than a good SBC crate engine- as Drabo suggests. The engine he mentions will give you a LOT of fun to drive. Better stop and think through what you really want.

Note: the six may provide more frustration than you think. When it comes to finding pulleys/brackets for power steering/AC you may run into trouble. SBC stuff is easy to get and inexpensive!