66 chevy

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by carlfranklin, Sep 22, 2007.

1. carlfranklin

carlfranklin Member

Ok guys need your input!!!!!!!
    Is it better to replace the front half floor pan and rocker panels on or off the fram? The fram is at the paint shop now.
    Do i need to put it all back together cab,front finders,hood?

2. 62 short step

62 short step Member

I don't think it really matters just what you feel comfortable doing. Make sure you brace the cab before cutting any metal.

3. carlfranklin

carlfranklin Member

4. crew_cab1978

crew_cab1978 Member

I just replaced the ones in my 1978 crew cab. The rust was not nearly as bad as what you have there. I did them with the cab off the frame, as you my frame was getting painted. The one thing I can not tell from your pics is if you have damage to the cab mounts on the underside. I ground the spot welds from the inside of the cab to limit intrusion to the cab mounts underneath. Then I marked and cut out the area that needed to be replaced. If you have to replace any of the supports underneath then you will have to take extra time to make sure those end up back inthe same place. Also I rolled the cab on it side to finish the welds on the underside, got tired on sparks running down the welding jacket sleeve.

5. drabo

drabo Member

You can do it alot easier off the frame. Make sure to weld a brace in the door before you start cutting. Also make a legnth and width measurment before you start. That way you have referance when your done that you did it right. Also only replace the portion that is rotten. If the whole thing is bad then replace the whole thing. If it is just rotted then cut out the bad section and cut the same section out of your patch and weld it in.

6. billydonn

billydonn Member

True it should be much easier with cab off. But if you cut out too much and get things moving around too much you can really screw up your cab alignment and height. Do one side at a time, brace where you can, take careful measurements and proceed! With one side intact, you can use it for measurements if needed.