Leaf spring Bushings

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by goodfella34, Dec 29, 2005.

1. goodfella34

goodfella34 Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-05 AT 02:23 PM (CST)]Hello,

I'm in the middle of changing out my old leaf springs front/rear. I've been told that I need to also replace the old shackles and bushings with new ones. My problem is removing the old shackle bushing from the chassis on both the front and the rear. Is there a special tool or do I need to take the chassis to a specialized shop, if so what type of shop should I go to. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

If the threaded parts are all wobbly then yes you'll ned to replace then , often I find that screwing in the new center part , all is well .

-Nate

3. goodfella34

goodfella34 Member

Sorry, I've been out of town for about 2 months. I will che ck to see if the new shackles aren't to loose. Thanks for the advice.:)

4. Nifty 50

Nifty 50 Member

If you have the springs apart, I would replace the all the shackles and bushings. You can make a tool to remove and replace the threaded shackle bushings by going to your local hardware store. You will need grade 8 bolts twice as long as the bushing, grade 8 washers the same diameter as the bushing and a piece of pipe or old deep socket just larger then the diameter of the bushing. Slip washer that catches the shoulder of the bushing on the bolt, put it through the inside of the bushing, put pipe on other side, washer, then nut and start tightening. Reverse the process without the pipe to put them back in. It can be done and I hope my description makes sense. Although, I broke several grade "8" bolts when doing this. It was probably due to not really grade 8 bolts as advertised. (I have heard that most bolts sold in hardware stores do not test out to their claimed standards.) I have also seen a buddy just pound out the bushings by putting the old threaded pin in it and start swinging the sledge. Obviously, not the way to put the new one in. look at the Manual, they show the real tool, but you can fab one up. Oh, another thing, start spraying the penetrating oil now. Good luck,
    Steve O

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Steve's advice is spot on here , if you're lucky enough to have a really BIG old vise you can use that with some sockets or bits of steel pipe to easily shove the bushings in & out , some shops even have Arbor presses , they'll work just fine too and they'll often allow you to use it as most mechanics don't know what an Arbor press is for anymore .

-Nate

6. goodfella34

goodfella34 Member

Thanks guy's I've found a guy who, will press them out for me. your advice is greatly appreciated.