Quick questions

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by spector, Mar 6, 2006.

1. spector

spector Member

I'm new here and currently in the process of restoring a 1950 3/4 ton Chevy. I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help to answer:

1) The runningboards appear to be attached to the frame by four-point nuts. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them off? I'm having trouble finding appropriate sockets (12-point sockets don't work).

2) For the garage ground up enthusiast, what is the best way to remove paint and rust?

3) Finally, I have heard of overdrive systems that can be installed so that the drivetrain doesn't need to be changed (except for shortening the axel) - does anyone know of these or where I could get one?

Thanks

2. coilover

coilover Member

(1) you need an eight point socket and probably will have to buy one, or a set, off a tool truck. Regular tool sources don't carry them anymore because farm equipment no longer uses square nuts like they used to. You will be very lucky if the nuts screw off because they are carriage bolts and will round the shoulders off if siezed up. You can cut them off and slide them out of the slot after bending up a small round tab at the end of the slot. (2) If you ask ten people you'll get ten answers on paint and rust removal. Some prefer chemical stripper, "Aircraft" brand is one of the best easily available. Sandblasting is fine ONLY in the hands of someone who really knows their trade. It can really warp and mess things up if done wrong. Media blasting is better but pricey. We use soda blasting on fiberglass or aluminum but it is slow and a bit pricey. If there is a stripper near you that has a tank, like RediStrip it will remove absolutly everything but care must be taken before topcoating because the chemical can ooze from lapped joints,etc.,for a long time and will mess up a paint job. (3)I think you meant shorten the driveshaft but, never the less, an old three speed with a Borgwarner OD is easy and cheap if compared to a Honeamatic after market OD. Both can be installed in an existing open driveline.