Draining converter?

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by Alex Ayala, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Alex Ayala

Alex Ayala Member

Hey guys, hope everyone is doing OK. I have a problem with my tranny. I have a 350/350 setup in a 78 Chevy c10 heavy half and I have a leak in my tranny that I can't seem to fix. I thought it was the pan gasket so I replaced that, replaced o-rings on speedo and detent cables and I still was having a leak occasionally. I noticed it most when I drove the truck really short distances like moving it frim the street to the driveway. When I did this it would really dump a lot of fluid. After a couple of times I decided to check the fluid level and when I pulled the tranny dip stick, the fluid was all the way to the top of the tube!

I've searched the archives and found some posts suggesting that it could be torque converter drain down. If I change the front seal, will this stop the drain down back into the pan?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,

2. billybones

billybones Member

Changing the front seal should stop the leakdown pushing out on the ground but not internally. Should not be to top of stick though..................

3. Alex Ayala

Alex Ayala Member

Thanks that's kind of what's got me puzzled. I haven't had time to work on it since my last post. I appreciate th input.