rear fender hole

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by gmcman1965, Sep 30, 2007.

1. gmcman1965

gmcman1965 Member

both my rear fendees have what look like factory holes, i don't know what they are for. can anyone enlighten me? on the lower left side there are two holes anybody know if there are original or what they are for? i am thinking of filling them in when i repair the fender to the right of the holes. any suggestion on the best way to repair the fender to the right of the holes, it seams to be compound radius, any trick to getting a nice job?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  2. 47chevyrod

47chevyrod Member

My 47 has those same holes but mine has rivits in them that goes to a brace

3. coilover

coilover Member

A lot of these trucks had what was called Utility Bumpers, which was a formed channel with a trailer ball mount plate in the center. At each end there was a strap about 3' wide by 3/16" thick that ran forward to the wheel opening on the rear fenders. The front of this strap bolted to the fender just behind the wheel opening. These same bumpers often had a plate welded onto the rear stake pocket and down to the top of the bumper. They would mount a reflector and tail light to this plate.

4. sloromon

sloromon Member

as far as getting the dents and creases fixed- it's hammer and dollie time! start from the outside and work your way in, always keeping the dollie on the inside and the hammer on the outside. if the creases have stretched the metal, then you may have to shrink it. after you get it looking as good as possible w/ H&D, you heat up the metal with a torch until red hot, then quickly quench it with a wet rag, and then it's back to the H&D. at least that's how i understand it. right guys?

jon

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Dolly Work

..I dunno :D The last time I tried panel beating I nearly ruined a pair of late '47 rear fenders....:eek: lucky me , two weeks later I found a decent pair in a scrap yard , a real scrap yard so the nice man there sold 'em to me for $12.00 ~ $.700 for the *perfect* one , $5.00 for the slightly dented one , both had perfect Forester Green paint.....

Those were the days *SIGH* :rolleyes:

6. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Could be wrong but this looks like the front of the rear fender, not sure about the holes or which ones you are asking about, as for panel beating, its impossible to explain on a forum but the best way to learn is to get some good hammers and dollys of various shapes and then get a few modern car fenders from a junk yard, ask for damaged ones as they will give you them for free and the metal is thinner and easier to manipulate, then just hammer away, you learn more by doing it yourself than by someone trying to explain long distance, there are many good books on the subject with great pics to follow just to get you started, good luck, and remember, as its a g*c you cant make it any worse!

7. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Jess is going to call you a jerk again after that statement, Neil. Welcome back, my friend!

8. Texas53

Texas53 Member

Also looks like the front on the rear fender to me. If so, those holes are where the running board attaches.

9. gmcman1965

gmcman1965 Member

the hole are on the front of the rear fender, but not where the running board goes.they are on the side parallel to the wheel,90 degress to the running board, and in the same spot on both left and right fenders. i would have figured on a brace if they where at the back of fender, i gess i will just fill them in. thanks for the help on the ol chevy. it's they chev truck i have owned the rest have been gmc's

10. Zig

Zig Member

SEE??? This is why I missed brit! We all know he's a closet G lover. The only thing he has to do is move his _stuff_ over here to America and fully embrace the country that made such a hot pickup! (the G, that is...)
    While he's at it, he can become a ton of lard, like me! :D

11. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Zig man, you really know how to sell your country dude, 'come over here an get fat an become a g*c lover' hold me back fellas, i cant wait!