need headlight wiring diagram for 86 w/ 4 bulbs

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by truckertommy, Oct 7, 2007.

1. truckertommy

truckertommy Member

having trouble getting power to lighting harness. have power at dimmer switch but not underhood

2. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Do you have power on the bulk head on motor side of firewall .
    Are you doing a new wiring or did a conversion from a two had light seytem. Or are you just try to get it to work again.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Pontiac1976/Pontiac1976%20truck%20parts/Wireing1984setup36.jpg (this pic is from a 4 headlight set on a 1984).
    Do you have the grounds @ the rad support good clean contact on both sidesof the Rad. Do you know if the switch is working. How does the pulges look @ the head lights are they clean. Are all the light not working or just the headlights. Have you test the headlights, the wires from the bulk head to the headlight to see if the wires are bad just dirty or shorted out.
    I try to get the wiring diagram you need posted.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  3. truckertommy

truckertommy Member

am putting truck together, bought it all in pieces. have power in/out of dimmer switch, have power at firewall to park lights front and rear as well as brake, rev. turn but not to headlight wires. Have tested headlights and they work when power put to connector at firewall. There doesn't seem to be a fuse for headlights. Am I missing it?

4. truckertommy

truckertommy Member

am putting truck together, bought it all in pieces. have power in/out of dimmer switch, have power at firewall to park lights front and rear as well as brake, rev. turn but not to headlight wires. Have tested headlights and they work when power put to connector at firewall. There doesn't seem to be a fuse for headlights. Am I missing it?

5. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Have you checked the end plugs @ the head light to see if there in clean not croated. have you checked the wires to see if it has breaks or croated wires in line to the head light wire from the firewall plug to the head light. working on the wiring diagram .

6. truckertommy

truckertommy Member

Lights work when power is put to them. I unplugged harness at firewall and used jumper wire to apply power there and they work. Not getting power at firewall. Is there a fuse or relay I'm missing?

7. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

OK here the 1987 duel head Light set up. From 83-87 the dual head Light set is the same for the lights (dual headlight 83-87 just the head light) Diagram.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Pontiac1976/Pontiac1976%20truck%20parts/87wiringTruckIMG_2.jpg
    You might want to save the pic the your pc so you can zoom in a bit more. I try to get the 86 front wireing wed so you have it to wiring for the motor but it with single headlights on it. So the head light part no good to you.

your color of wiring are:
    if you are looking at it if it was pluged in would be.
    dark Blue top left, right top Black
    LT (lite) Blue left, right blank
    blank left (no wire),
    Tan left,
    Green left, right blank (no wire)
    Brown left, right Tan/White ( Tan/ with White strip ) to the brake switch

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  8. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member