new here

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by frikenwoodro, Oct 17, 2007.

1. frikenwoodro

frikenwoodro Member

i have never worked on an engine before and i want to bulid one from the ground up. how hard is it to build one?

2. billybones

billybones Member

Not really hard at all. If you are doing an older small block chevy, the book 'HOW TO HOT ROD SMALL BLOCK CHEVYS' is a good place to start. Book has been in print for ages, seems like. Has all the basics in there, but obviously if working on a newer motor or different type you would need additional resources. I have always assembled my own motors after the machine work was done by a top speed shop. That way, you have some control over contaminants, torque settings and cost, etc. And, you have some satisfaction that you put it together, not to mention all the things you learn that help you after the installation. I'm not a big fan of 'crate' motors. They may have a warranty but who's to say that the person assembling your engine is not hung over from a night of bad beer and greasy chicken wings! I do however understand the convenience and attractiveness of the crate concept, for someone who can afford it or does not have time to build their own.

3. frikenwoodro

frikenwoodro Member

It is actually a small block 87. I have wanted to build one for as long as i can remember . The 'crate' motor thing is not for me . I want to be able to says yeah I built it and take pride . I have nothing but time to build a burly motor where would i find that book?

4. billybones

billybones Member

try www.amazon.com and type in that title. I did not see that particular one but others that may help. Most speed shops have them on their racks

5. 62 short step

62 short step Member

I bought mine at a local part store. Might want to try that.

6. frikenwoodro

frikenwoodro Member

turns out i got a 350 stroker block with vortech heads so im just gona leave it alone lmao...for now