Any 48 - 53 suburbans out there?

Discussion in 'Blazers/Jimmys/Suburbans' started by advanced design, Sep 20, 2003.

1. advanced design

advanced design Member

Just wondering if anyone in the group owns AD Suburbans? Not many out there at the shows I've been to.

2. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

RE: Any 48 - 53 suburbans

My neighbor has one, its just sittin in his field and dosent run but I think its cool.Karl

________
    Babi Mac Proved That

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  3. advanced design

advanced design Member

Hope it doesn't waste away and gets saved - if it is worth saving!

4. advanced design

advanced design Member

Appears not many out there. Wonder if that is because they are rare or because they are undesirable?

5. advanced design

advanced design Member

Since not many around I had to buy a '48 'Burb. Very solid out of Texas.

6. Seon

Seon Member

RE: Any 48 - 53 suburbans out there

You're right, not many out there. I've got two, one with a clam shell and the other with barn doors. But my two married daughters have taken over and will modifiy them with small block chevies and auto tranny.
    With all the late model SUV's I would hav thought that there would be coming out of the wood works ;) .
    BTW I also have three 55-59 Burbs and two 60-61 Burbs ;-)

7. advanced design

advanced design Member

Very good, I plan to do the same with my 'burb after I finish the truck. Sounds like you have a good supply of Suburbans!

8. robert71C20

robert71C20 Member

avancedesign,

where exactly did you get yours out of Texas? I live in South TX and my '70 model truck has been a farm truck all it's life and it's rusted up pretty bad. I guess that's because it wasn't taken care of. Until now!! :7 But most other old trucks i've seen here look pretty good. I saw an early 60's Fleetside somewhere for sale but I didn't have any money at the time or I would've bought it.:7

9. advanced design

advanced design Member

I got mine just a little ways south of Amarillo. You are right, just because it came from Texas doesn't necessarily mean it will be rust free but chances are better than here in the midwest rust belt.

10. keithburb50

keithburb50 Member

I know this topic is old. But I just saw it today! Yes, I have 1950 Suburban. Its a hybrid that is kinda interesting. It is sitting on a 1984 Jeep Waggoneer frame w/ 4X4. The paint is rough with some rust out. But overall pretty solid. It has 400 sbc wiand intake with 4 barrel carb. It runs like a scalded dog! But mostly I love it because everyone else likes it too. I have met more nice folks since I purchased it last year. I have been unable to do much in the way of restoration due to my daughter's Cancer last year. But Thank God she is in remission and doing so well now. Perhaps, I can get going on restoring it now. But this is a great forum. I don't quite know how to post photos etc. Or I would include it. We just got a digital camera but our PC is about 3 1/2 yrs old so no photo input yet. This is really neat to be able to read and learn so much from all ya'll! Thanks, keithburb50

11. advanced design

advanced design Member

Glad your daughter is doing well and pray she continues. The 'Burb sounds pretty cool. I haven't started on mine yet as I started building a '35 Chevy Master coupe.

And welcome to the forum.

12. keithburb50

keithburb50 Member

35s are very cool. Thanks for the prayer support! It is amazing that there are so many people who have offered up prayer for our daughter's cancer. I know that it has made a huge difference. She is doing so well! Thanks again. What year is your suburban? I'm kind of partial to the early 50s models. But their all good!-Keith

13. rdinwidd

rdinwidd Member

Hi All Burb Lovers.
    I had to jump in and brag about my new project. We just got a 1950 Suburban. It's pretty much all original & we bought it from the 2nd owner in Globe Az. I want to do a resto-rod type restoration. My husband going to do the work & I will be his helper. As you can probably tell, I'm very excited about it.
    :D

14. jober

jober Member

Any 48-53 Suburbans out there ?

Hi to all 48-53 enthusiasts. Just found this site! I have enjoyed postings as I am interested in finding a decent 47-53 burb, preferably a decent original or mildly modified one with updated drivetrain, etc. I live in Indiana and don't have easy access to candidate states like AZ or TX. I subscribe to Hemmings Motor News, but have found limited availability. I know there were several thousands produced--Where have all the burbs gone? I also have production data and other written info i would share. If anyone can help, give me a holler! THANX

15. keithburb50

keithburb50 Member

Hello Jober!
    There are a lot of places to look for old suburbans. The supply is limited. Try looking in the following sites - www.traderonline.com ; www.classiccar.com - click on the classified ads. This is where I found my 1950 Suburban. I had it delivered from North Dakota to Houston. It was $1000.00 but was well worth it (enclosed trailer etc) I found the delivery Co. in the back of an "OLD CAR" MONHTLY BOOK. It took them quite a while to make to Houston. But, it was worth it. I don't remember the name of the delivery company but I bet I could find it for you if you want it. These old Suburbans are a hoot. I am very slowly working on restoring mine. Good luck on finding one. I bet you'll find one. They show up ever once and while. Let us know if you find one. If I see one on the net would you like to know about it?????????? Please, let me know etc. Thanks, Keith

16. jober

jober Member

thanx keith

Thank you for the reply-doesn't appear that too many people use this forum by looking at dates of messages. I'm still kinda looking for a 50-53 burb when I have the time. last month saw a 52 panel at IN car show-pretty sharp,but really want a Suburban for visibility. I think it would be cool to have one with updated drive train and modern conveniences with the original body, and the restore a 50's era camper to pull along and hit the road. Thanx for your offer to respond if you come across any in your searches. Keep me updated on your restoration.

17. 65Chevylgstp

65Chevylgstp Member

If you are looking for a fifties burb I would keep an eye on EBay because I saw one on there just a few weeks back. Not sure what year it was exactly but im sure if you keep looking you will find one. Also Deals on wheels may have one listed from time to time.

18. Sasky

Sasky Member

I know this is a year after the last post but my dad has a 52 suburban with the clamshell rear doors and a hydramatic tranny. It has been sitting for many years, but someone could bring it back to life. Send me an email at Sasky@barefoot-soul.com so I can put you in touch with my dad as we are selling all of the old Chevy, GMC, Ford, and MoPar (including Simca) cars and trucks we have bought over the years. Everything is in deep south Georgia.

Blessings,
    Sasky
    http://www.barefoot-soul.com
    Christian Rock

19. 50Burb

50Burb Member

Late comer Burb owner

I've got a 1950 Suburban in the paint shop right now. It was my first car and I have had it for 20+ years. I replaced the 216 with a '53 235 from a Chevy car that was a powerglide, so it is a full pressure lubricated engine. Hydraulic lifters also. I have been doing more of a restification than restoration so that it is usually driveable and not in alot of pieces scattered around the garage. Other than that, it is all original. I am trying to keep it stock as much as possible.

20. 1inxs

1inxs Member