Higher Gearing???

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by glaser06, Jul 26, 2007.

1. glaser06

glaser06 Member

I have a 1960 Chevy w/ a 283 4-spd. I recently rebuilt the rear end as the bearing were beyond shot. I saw that there was a new ring gear set that gave you a higher gearing (3.28:1 I think?) than the stock 3.73:1. Is this worth the $400 price tag? IE, can these older trucks handle doing 65 and 70 mph w/o rattling apart or worries of stopping?

2. billydonn

billydonn Member

Properly maintained, and with the right gears, the trucks can cruise just like modern vehicles. The problem is you have the granny gear tranny- meaning first gear is so low it's useless for anything but pulling boats up steep ramps. Your ratio is 1:1 in fourth. The gear you mention is a good solution on limited funds. It will help you cruise at lower rpm and will compensate a bit for the useless low first gear. August Custom Classic Trucks has a good tranny swap article...also available at their website I believe. Update your brakes!

3. glaser06

glaser06 Member

Yeah, figured the brakes would need booster/disc/something to stop the vehicle. Prior to dissassmebly of the truck that "Stump-pulling gear" as my grandfather called it did just as the name suggested...even with a poorly running engine. I won't really need it after the restore though, I hope :D. Thanks for the info.