How to install a big block v8

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by oldtruckluvr, Jan 12, 2006.

1. oldtruckluvr

oldtruckluvr Member

I have a 1954 chevy 1/2 ton pickup. It has the original 235 engine in it. I am looking to install a big block v8. a 454 hopefully. I was just wondering what all needs to be replaced in my truck for this engine to work. I know that i will have to replace the transmission and rear end and also the drive shaft. if anyone ever done this conversion please let me know how you did it and what to look for. will a 454 bolt into the engine compartment? and will there be enough clearance. everything in my truck is original. please let me know of any ideas or information on this installation. thank you

2. coilover

coilover Member

We have never put a 454 in a 47-54 but have put a 472 cadillac into a 51. I have seen several big blocks in these trucks. We did have to alter the inner fenders since they were designed for a long skinny engine and had to go to a differant steering since the gearbox couldn't be more in the way. Ended up using a radiator from a 46 ford pickup with the flathead six to keep the beast cool. When we do something like this we measure twice and then measure twice more, make templates out of cardboard, profiles with bent gas welding rod, and never finish weld anything but just tack it enough to hold until everything is fit and tested. These old trucks were designed to carry some of the weight in the bed on the front axle so it didn't squash down the front any noticible amount. Good luck

3. dancerman

dancerman Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-06 AT 05:48 AM (CST)]All the large engines I've seen in these trucks had the firewall recessed and tranny tunnel enlarged. Otherwise, you fight the swap all the way.

4. federale

federale Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-06 AT 11:51 AM (CST)]There are any number of saddle mounts to help facilitate this swap. Check with Summit for help.