Looking for wide white walls!!!!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by scottys54, Nov 17, 2007.

1. scottys54

scottys54 Member

Hello guys,
    I finally got my truck to start up with very little effort. Actually now I can give my gas peddal 2 pumps and step on my starter switch and she fires right up. All of this thanks to you guys and your great advice from this web page. Now that I am about to hit the road does anyone know where one might find a set of gentle used white wall tires? I have aboout 3 different types on my truck now with the rears being about 30 year old firestones. I would like to upgrade to the radials. I hear it makes the ride a whole lot smoother.

Thanks
    Scotty and his 54

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  2. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Try coker tires they make a lot of old type looking tires some with big white wall's & radials too. I for get the link for sure but i think this it .
    http://cokertire.com/ hope this helps:)

3. put-put

put-put Member

Scotty,
    i definitely recommend the Coker whitewall radials. I have had mine for a yr and they ride pretty good for a stiff truck suspension. I bought mine new, pretty expense. Compared to the bias tires their projected life is much longer. The ride and life make up for the cost in my book. BOL.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Radial WWW Tires

Yes , radials are the way to go , choose the size correctly and no one will notice you're not running bias ply typ .
    Look in the archives for the correct size as this is a common post .

You'll be wanting to buy ' LT ' typ tires too , not passenger car tires as these old trucks are heavy and there's a serious safety issue as well as ensuring long life .

I am using Diamondback Classics tires , they take a top quality tire and vulcanize the wide whitewall onto it ~ I have several years and more miles than you can imagine (speedo broke @ 40,000) on these www tires in commercial service , daily driving , hitting curbs , desert roads , potholes and on and on ~ pay the extra (I nearly broke me) and you'll reap the rewards . www.widewhitewalltires.com

FWIW , I've never ,EVER heard of a sucessful warranty claim from coker tire since they day they opened so I don't recommend them - too many buddies have had expen$ive WWW tires simply blow out and no warrantee no matter what they tell you when you buy them .

Remember : keeping the sidewall white , isn't difficult , use Comet , Ajax , Bon-Ami typ powdered cleansers on a dedicated sponge to wash them , you'll not hurt the sidewall . if you use any sort of tire cleaner or dressing , the white sidewalls will turn yellow or brown , permanently .

5. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Very good point ! vwnate1 and very true.

6. Zig

Zig Member

Cool deal! The cleaner works on raised lettering, but not wide whites? That saved me _again_!!! Thanks for the tip! (Hey~ maybe this would be a good job for my SOS pads?!:D)

7. scottys54

scottys54 Member

Thanks for the reply guys. I never thought about the LT vurses car tire. Good recommendation.

Scottys 54

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Cleaning Whitewalls

Right ~ if you use tire dressing the white WILL be ruined by the Carbon Black leechingthrough .

Brillo pads , good as is Wsley's Bleech - White (if they still make it) .

I'm waiting for # 1 Son to take me to the airport boys so have a happy holiday! .

9. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

DIAMONDBACK TIRES. My cokers wander all over the place, and they are radials. Fatman has seen this problem before also.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I Keep Trying To Warn Ya !

Coker tires SUCK , they have NO WARRANTY either .

Too many unhappy customers .

:mad:

11. jeffr1986

jeffr1986 Member

I bought Diamondbacks in September and I am very happy with them. I did check Coker too. They wanted to sell me tubes with their recommended tire - I didn't like that plus the warranty issue was a concern.

12. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Kool glad there a another one out there keep the other trying to get and keep cumsters do they have a web page.

13. jeffr1986

jeffr1986 Member

14. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Kool thanks there even on the east side too :)