which gauge in my 53

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mylow53, Dec 26, 2007.

1. mylow53

mylow53 Member

Attached Files:

2. mikesters1950

mikesters1950 Member

Not positive on the 53, but my 50 uses the two matching on the first row, 2nd from left, and far right. The ones with the brownish center sections. Depending on the motor you use, you can easily swap a 0-60 psi oil pressure guage. That's what I did for my 261 engine, as I was pegging the 30 psi to often. Hope that helps some.....Mike

P.S. Just checked Classic Parts online catalogue, and they show the guages available. Pretty damn good prices too. If yours work, you can reface them, otherwise you can get several different types through them.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  3. mylow53

mylow53 Member

thats what i thought they have the same center crome
    thanks mike

4. jeffr1986

jeffr1986 Member

Hi Mike,

Here is a picture of the gauges on my 53. Looks like second from the left and far right are the ones.

Attached Files:

5. mylow53

mylow53 Member

yup i droped off the second from the left and far right to north hollywood speedo shop. i'm waiting to hear the cost....
    thanks guys
    GT

6. mylow53

mylow53 Member

by the way anybody want any of the other gauges? pm me

7. Zig

Zig Member

I don't know, Jeff~ The centers of those gauges look a lot like my GMC's.:confused:

-'course I painted those red to match my dash, but.... (and I used the GMC "Tan"(?) face paper)....

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  8. jeffr1986

jeffr1986 Member

Say it ain't so!

Really Zig? As far as I know, they're original equipment. There was only one owner before me and he said it was all original. I tend to believe him as he had every reciept for anything ever done to it all the way back to the the sales invoice dated 06/23/53. Hmmm, now you've got me wondering!!!!:confused:

9. Zig

Zig Member

~Who? Me???~

https://talk.classicparts.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=159

With the exception of the color, what do you think? Maybe it's the red dash?

I couldn't tell a C from a G if it bit me on the a$$.:eek:

But really, whaddya think? :confused:

10. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Zig, a little trivia for you!

The easiest way to tell a "G" gauge cluster from a "C" cluster is simple. Look at the gas gauge. If it says "gasoline", it's a chevy. Is it says fuel, it's a GMC. Know why?

11. mikesters1950

mikesters1950 Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they both use the same guages, just different colored faces. I know they did switch to the 90mph speedo in 1953 I believe. C.P. actually shows the guages and the face plate sickers on their online catalogue. I refaced mine using the sticker set, and installled a 60 psi oil pressure guage in place of the 30psi. I also cleaned and lubed the speedo assembly while it was apart, and they all work great. You can get quite a few parts from C.P. If the price quote is too much, redo them yourself, or buy them from C.P......Mike

12. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

There are subtle differences

If you look at the gas gauge and ammeter, they differ. GMC's gas gauge used fuel, instead of gasoline, because GMC offered diesel power. Also, the amp gauge on the GMC used numbers on the charge/discharge while chevy simply stated D/C. And if you look closely, the needles on the GMC gauges are shorter than the chevy (for obvious reasons:eek:)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  13. Zig

Zig Member

But...

'Course I painted over that ...stuff... I figured if you looked at a fuel gauge and couldn't figure out it was showing you how much gas was in the tank, ya best be driving something else!:eek:

That's just me, and that's how I screwed myself out of the extra bucks my G would bring me!:D

14. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

15. Zig

Zig Member

Time!!!!!

Now just wait one dog-gone minute, bro! You of all people should know GMC had that God~awful "Tan" face! If they had black, I'd be happy! If they actually HAD black, then I'm PISSED! Classic Parts has two types~ GMC is , ugggh~ TAN!!!! Guess what's on my gauges? I ain't changing it, either! I thought it was GOLD and not TAN because, well, you know~ Gs are worth more than a C?:D;):rolleyes::cool:

16. mikesters1950

mikesters1950 Member

I thought the "G" was for Gave up finding parts, and the "C" was for Can find parts anywhere! I could be wrong though.......HEHE.
    Poking fun........Mike

17. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

18. 1952Bowtie

1952Bowtie Member

Gauges

Interesting indeed. I've seen some '53s with 212 temp gauges though...maybe an early/late date thing that happened in 1953??

19. Zig

Zig Member

Ken~ you are the master! I can't find two same shoes in one closet, and I'd dare say there isn't a thing you can't find on the net! Top Drawer!

So I could have used black in my 52??? I COULDA USED BLACK??????

That's OK~ I like the way mine turned out. ...but who knew there were 12 differences?

gad!