Where Do You Hang Your Spare?

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by steve, Nov 4, 2007.

1. steve

steve Member

And I don’t mean around your abdomen.............. :D

I see old trucks have their spare tires on the driver side fenders. I never like this look but that all changed, as with other taste in life. One of my truck prescriptions (joke) actually subscription stated that “unless you expect many flat tires hang it on the side of your truck”! I guess they didn’t care for the side mount spare either. I guess if you put $30,000 into a rod you better not see the spare tire. As you can see my rod is not $30,000 dollar, and is used as a truck. The last thing I hauled in it was a set of Dana 44 axles for my son’s 83 CJ Jeep project.

Well I have the original spare side tire mount with the proper fender cut-out. But have one small dilemma. The tire size I run is 7.50R16LT which is actually a radial for RV’s. And this size is approximately two inches to tall for the short bead. The tie would rest against the cab. So I have several options, one move the bed back, which my not be noticeable at the rear tires. (I don’t like that option). Relocate the studs on the spare tire mount to accommodate the larger tires. Or sell the stuff and replace the spare tire under the bed. Any takers on the spare tire mount and fender great shape?

Anyone have options or solutions. I guess that only long bed (3200) came with the fender mount spare tires? :confused:

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

My GMC 102 (long bed like a 3200) came with a side mount spare. My truck has been my daily driver since 1990. I've put about 97000 miles on it since then. I've never needed the spare. When I did a bunch of rust repair and repainted it 9 years ago I traded out the fender for one without a cut-out for the spare, gave away the spare mounting bracket to another old trucker that was redoing a '58 and have been driving since with my spare tire mounted in the back of my garage. Someday I'll probably regret it, but so far, so good.

3. dane st. cyr

dane st. cyr Member

my 55 2nd series ,the spare is mounted to the rear and under the bed between the rear end bumper

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Spare Tire

Wow ~ no spare tire :eek:

I like to drive my truck way out into the middle of nowhere so I always carry a spare tire and jack , block of wood to go under the jack (because you only have flat tires near soft shoulders) , lug wrench and something to pry the hubcap off with .

I just toss the spare into the bed as I never did get my side mount installed and the original underbed carrier is long gone....

5. hotrodsbyray

hotrodsbyray Member

spare tire

i would love to have the cut out fender and all brackets to put on my 57 short bed step side. been looking for the parts locally but just haven't been able to find them. if anybody's got the whole setup for sale let me know - hotrodsbyray@yahoo.com and send some pics.
    i also originally didnt like the look but times changed for me too. i am building a 57 that will be used as a truck so i need the bed space. also i put the gas tank out back so no room there for the spare.

6. steve

steve Member

Hot Rod,

Whre you located? I got the complete setup, I will consider a trade for driver fender in good condition. (Nothern Virginia here). I also need the transmission cover for the cab. If interested I will take soem pictures.

7. rmtautomotive

rmtautomotive Member

Spare

Why not use the original size tire in place of the 2" taller one. Two inches=one inch ride height difference. If you like the look, I would leave it there and not butcher anything else. Just a thought.
    Rod

8. steve

steve Member

Thanks Rod

You know rod, that's about the best edvice yet! maybe a white wall or just a tire cover too. I not into butchery! :D

Steve

9. sparky59

sparky59 Member

Crazy alternatives I know, but......how about a '78 bronco style swing out mounted to the rear bumber -swing out and the tailgate goes down...I made a shelf where a "modern truck tool box" would fit. I left room for big items to still be slid underneath and the spare was only slightly seen from the profile from the truck - could be made nicely with classy wood sides to help keep it hidden or just make it out of steel, paint it black and use it like a rack... you could always mount it to the front like some of the aussy trucks in the outback..the one i made for my stepside is my choice though - just throwing it in the back used to cause issues when getting oversize loads at home depot. good luck
    sparky

10. Sledge Hammer

Sledge Hammer Member

As styles change, I too am looking to install the side mounted tire bracket and fender. I saw one in excellent shape at a swap meet last summer and should have grabbed it. I was on vacation and had no place to put it. I like the smaller tire idea. Good thinking Rod. Assuming hotrod wants yours Steve, if anyone else has the set up available, I am interested. Pittsburgh area.

11. cosmo1957

cosmo1957 Member

Hang your spare?

Thats a bit personal !:D:eek:

12. oscarlovel

oscarlovel Member

Has anyone mounted theirs inside the bed?

13. Bruno

Bruno Member

Not yet, But thats a good way to do it.If you are worried about it geting stolen put a lock set up and get a nice cover for it.You kow somthing with a nice mural or picture of your truck paited on it

14. 58fleetside

58fleetside Member

I have an underbed hanger

I have an underbed hanger that is a little bent off a 59 longbed fleetside.