shifting on 59 chev. apache

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by dstanczak1, Mar 14, 2007.

1. dstanczak1

dstanczak1 Member

i have a 59 chevrolet apache it is three on the tree... it is really hard to shift it (the linkage is not working right) is there anyway to convert that three on the tree to a floor stick shift?? and if i cant is there anything i can do to make it shift easier? thanks

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I'm no expert (my '57 GMC has a Hydra-Matic), but I seem to remember that there is a kit to rebuild the "box" at the bottom of the steering column that converts movement of the shift lever in the cab to movement of the linkage down to the transmission. Once that is done, get a Shop Manual for your truck. Should have linkage alignment instructions. My GMC shop manual does, but it is a different transmission.

Our host, Classic Parts, should have both.

3. dstanczak1

dstanczak1 Member

do you know where i can buy a shop manual for my truck???

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

5. 1st49Chevy

1st49Chevy Member

if you take off the cover to the linkage and pack it with grease this should take care of your problem if the linkage is not already damaged.

6. 1958 Cameo

1958 Cameo Member

I am no expert either, but I had the same problem on my 59,I took the whole
    assy ,apart and mucked out the old grease and found that a simple spring
    inside was worn out and had an extra shift assy that had a better spring
    in it and so far everything is shifting OK !But my real problem now is were the shift rod mount's to the steering coloumn is broken and has a hose clamp holding it to the steering coloumn,I can hold the shift rod still as
    i am shifting it and if I get a new one I think the problem will be completly
    solved.thats what I found on mine anyway!

7. BradChev Duty

BradChev Duty Member

I had the same problem with my 84 three on the tree that used to bind between second and third and my linkage was just so mangled (from when I learnt to speed shift from first to second LOL) that I had to go with the floor option found a set that Mr Gasket sold 40 or 50 bucks solved the problem.

Hope it helps

Bad Brad

8. step1958

step1958 Member

fix the problem forever with a HURST SHIFTER

9. mike 16

mike 16 Member

Think twice befor you cut open thr floor. its something simple what ever it is but think long and hard befor you cut up that floor.

10. jerryacheson

jerryacheson Member

Another place that can cause difficult shifting is the shift lever itself. Lubricate the assembly where the lever works the shaft going down the steering column and make sure the screws into the steering column are tight. I'm talking about the piece of the mechanism up by the steering wheel. Mine got lose and it made shifting VERY difficult.

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Smooth Shifting Three On The Tree

Go over to the AD forums and look this up , there's been lots written on how to easily remedy this .

Remove slop in the linkages and proper adjustment is the key .

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

13. Sledge Hammer

Sledge Hammer Member

The Hurst Shifter is the easy way out, but don't do it. Seems I spend most of my time fixing what other people tore out or destroyed in the process. Follow the link above and listen to these guys. I see all of these new steering columns for sale. I need to start a web site called "send your old parts to me." I would love to have the original column back in my truck.

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

" Three On The Tree "

...By which you can tell how long I've been working on and with these old rigs :rolleyes:

Anyways most of you alls know I ran a VW shop in the 1970's , we got in a LOT of stuff as our tiny classified ad in the Pasadena , Star news read
    " I'll FIX or BUY any car or truck " (we were hungry , dig) so , we'd get offered all manner of old cars and stuff (1939 Dodge sedan for $175.00) and I once got a complete colum shifter setup out of some grannie's 1949 Chevy DeLuxe Coupe , that car had maybe 20,000 miles on it and of course was being destroyed into a Hot Rod , my partner tossed all that *perfect*
    , shiny clean & tight linkage , handle and etc. into the scrap bin and was upset I hauled it back out and put it safely away .

I was so sure someone would eventually need it but I never did sell it and left it there when I went into the Civil Service , if I still had it I could prolly get big $ for it on E-Pay now :(