need help with 350 V8 HEI in a 57 stepside

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by fitty7, Oct 20, 2007.

1. fitty7

fitty7 Member

Ok so here goes. My dad and I have a project truck that we have been working on since I graduated high school. However we recently bought a crate 350 from GM Performance Parts and the HEI distributor will not fit in the space given. It is rubbing the firewall. :confused: Here's the question. Has anyone else encountered a problem like this? If so what was your solution. My dad is thinking of cutting out the area of the firewall where the distributor goes and taking it to someone to have a new piece shaped that would be a deeper fit and then having the piece welded in. so please just let me know what you think.
    Thanks!

2. 4JSAToo

4JSAToo Member

Distributor

Check out Summit or Jeg's for a small bodied HEI distributor.This is a very common problem and there is a solution

3. seansolan

seansolan Member

Firewall clearance

I put a 350 in my 55 and the reason the HEI was pressing the firewall was my front motor mounts. If you lower the front by changing the rubber mounts, it should clear. Good luck.

4. Sledge Hammer

Sledge Hammer Member

Don't cut it. There are lots of solutions to this problem. I opted for a new points distributor. Its been working great for ten years. If not several companies offer the small cap HEI unit. I have seen many engine swaps with HEI distributors, so take a look at the motormounts, but don't cut it.

5. Sledge Hammer

Sledge Hammer Member

Search "Conversion Questions" from Jan 19, 2007. There is a long thread about this swap.

6. 55-59 TruckNut

55-59 TruckNut Member

Don't cut the wall!

The advise is great here! Don't cut the firewall, either swap the distributor for a points distributor or look for the mini HEI they mentioned here. I am not sure I would mess with lowering the front mounts it might cause other alignment problems.

my 2-cents worth!:D

55-59 TruckNut

7. chevymantrucks

chevymantrucks Member

I run point conversions in all my old distributors and they work great.You can get them trough summit or jags i bought mine at kragen auto parts for $65 bucks.DO NOT CUT THE FIRE WALL!!! OR LOWER THE FRONT MOUNTS!!You can also buy a unilght distibutor from mallery it fits well.You can also use after market motor mounts to move the motor foreward so the distributor will clear the fire wall.I use them on my gmc trucks and the work great!.