Is this thing on!

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by steve, Oct 18, 2007.

1. steve

steve Member

Short History of my 59 Apache 3100, (which means short bed)

First in 1996 I purchased a complete truck for $750.00. The condition of the body indicated it should have been scraped. So I dismantled and practice my welding and patch panel/ body working skills. Oh by the way, I had to build a three car garage after the teardown. The short window cab was rusted-up, passed the pillars and hinge pockets. At that time they only made patch panels for the hinges. Now you can get the complete pillar section. If it wasn’t for the internet, I would have never or could have accomplished this tasked.

Example, the truck was missing some items like the original seat, so off to the local remaining scrap yard, where they have you by the “gonads’ you say try-five Chevy and the scrap yard office comes to a halt. I actuary think the counter guy carried a calculator over and place it in front of me. Well back to the internet, where items are available knowing the average cost and what you would pay for something (what’s it’s worth to you”) at the time of need.

Well I located a seat and upholstered it myself, looks great. Well other things needed replacing. In short the only remaining original body steel left on the truck is the hood and the tailgate, all four fenders were replaced. Doors and bed sides including bed sills and front panel. I did not buy new steel panels. I looked for the best used steel units I could fine, in swap meets and of course the internet. Well needles to say after completing the project and painting each item and reinstalling all the panels. I located a good BIG window cab, times have changed. I never liked the big windows pickup, the small window were true trucks to me, work horses. Well the cab was in California and I am located in the east coast in northern Virginia. So locating a shipper and paid the $500.00 cab with $600 for shipping to Virginia. To me back to what I stated earlier “what it’s worth to you” Of course I could have sent the wife away on a cruise for that total. (she went anyway). So I started the tear down again, I did all the work myself with some help from my son. I used some steel rigging to remove the two cabs and always keeping safety in my mind, I am a safety coordinator for the defense department. I could not explain getting injured.

Well now seven years later on the road the transmission original 3 speed, I will continue later with my story. This is where I replace the original 236 with a 250 and a 200 R4, some may ask, WHY! Well in short it’s been rebuilt to stock; I gain 10 HP and lose approximately 65 LB in the motor swap itself. I was able to change to the alternator because this 250 engine had the unattached voltage regulator. So I just modified the end connections on the new wire harness. Did I mention that the truck had extensions cords when I first acquired the truck? The 200 R4 is lighter then the 700R4 and can handle the 150 HP.

I hope you enjoy reading, the best thing about this build is the time spent with my family, working and visiting truck meets as a whole family unit. My son learned a lot, (he ant that mechanically inclined) takes after his mother. But were now building a 83 CJ 7 Jeep together.

I would like to thank Chevy Duty now Classic Parts, that neat music over the phone and the great ladies and tech help over the phone. But I still shop around......................

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wow

What a great post ! .

Thanx for sharing your story .

You're correct , the later , thinwall design 250 C.I.D. Chevy 6 banger is a more powerful and lighter engine but , it is very sensative to dity oil so keep after it .

Thank you too for your Military service , it's people like you who keep America free .

3. Sledge Hammer

Sledge Hammer Member

I've got to say, "Great post" too. I've hauled my family all over looking for parts and attending car and truck shows and swap meets. Years ago my daughter said, "If we bring your truck I'll go anywhere. I just don't like walking around looking at other peoples trucks." Now years later at 16 she still comes with me to the shows in our truck. Your right about the staff at Classic Parts.

4. 55-59 TruckNut

55-59 TruckNut Member

Nice Story -- Got any Photos to Share?

:D

Steve,

Nice story!

Why not post a photo or two? Perhaps a "before and after" ???:confused:

Thanks for sharing!

55-59 TruckNut